Menu

Goose Bumps series

Someone recently recommended these books to me for ds7, who loves mystery stories. I just looked them up on Amazon and they seem very scary! Are these books appropriate for a 2nd grader? He's a big fan of The Boxcar Children so I was thinking The Hardy Boys or Encyclopedia Brown might be better choices.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated -- thanks so much!

I would not recommend them for a 2nd grader. My son loves these books and so do his friends. You can always go to your library and check one out and take a look for yourself. Almost every library I have been to has the whole collection.

If he wants ghosties for some relatively light reading, I'd recommend the Ghosthunters series by Cornelia Funke. There are, IIRC, five books in the series, starting with Ghosthunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost. These are better written and more humorous than Goose Bumps.

Like said previously...junk food reading. WTM even advises against those types of books and mentions that series specifically. I'd prefer my young children getting familiar w/ GOOD literature and books (even if it means audio versions or read aloud by mom). There are so many great books out there for the 1st/2nd grade level that one doesn't need Goosebumps or other Mcbooks. JMNSHO!

If he wants ghosties for some relatively light reading, I'd recommend the Ghosthunters series by Cornelia Funke. There are, IIRC, five books in the series, starting with Ghosthunters and the Incredibly Revolting Ghost. These are better written and more humorous than Goose Bumps.

While my kids have the freedom to read most books Goose Bumps are some of the books I will not tolerate.

We've only read the first Ghosthunters book so I'm not too familiar with the series but we do like many other books by Cornelia Funke.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. We will definitely be passing on the Goose Bumps books!

Too bad really because I don't consider them twaddle or scary. In fact, aside from the Hardy Boys, the others listed, to me, are the twaddle and boring.

Oh well, leaves more for us to read. *I* still like Goosebumps. :)