Menu

I bit the bullet and purchase Classical Writing Homer B!!

Testimony

I did not want to do it. I was going to junk the whole thing. I was reading a book that I used in college called "How to Study in College" by Walter Pauk. I was reading the chapter on "notetaking." It gave an example of how to take notes for a piece of literature or fiction novels. It was exactly what CW Homer is teaching. I fell to the floor.:svengo:

I went to Rainbow Resources and ordered Homer B. After spending the entire summer of 2009 doing Homer A, I did not want to put my son through this torture again. However, I have come up with a new strategy. I have decided to have him do the analysis and book work one week and the writing project the second week. I am only going to do 10 weeks worth of lessons for the rest of the school year. Then in the fall, I will pick up and do a few more. I will do this program slowly. I am reading Homer again to try and get a good grasp of it. I hope that I am not nuts. Are there any survivors of CW Homer B out there?

I went to Rainbow Resources and ordered Homer B. After spending the entire summer of 2009 doing Homer A, I did not want to put my son through this torture again. However, I have come up with a new strategy. I have decided to have him do the analysis and book work one week and the writing project the second week. I am only going to do 10 weeks worth of lessons for the rest of the school year. Then in the fall, I will pick up and do a few more. I will do this program slowly. I am reading Homer again to try and get a good grasp of it. I hope that I am not nuts. Are there any survivors of CW Homer B out there?

I don't think you are nuts. :D Or if you are so am I.

My oldest will be starting Homer B in about a month. I do it at normal pace, but alternate weeks with the Poetry which is lighter. Otherwise Homer is just too much work for my dd.

That means we will be doing it together.

Heather

We did the same thing you plan on doing. She did Homer A in a year, pretty much as scheduled. But B really slowed us down. She started off doing everything in one week, but then slowed down to analysis one week/writing project one week. Also, I will confess that we never finished the last lesson in Homer B! But you know what? It doesn't seem to affect anything! Also, we never got to Poetry. Oh well. She is still far ahead in writing!

Keep going though! After Homer, Diogenes is a breath of fresh air! She is actually enjoying this and doing very well! I like it because it is pretty much self teaching and doesn't really require much from me at all except to review her work. It takes a lot less time, too!

Now I've got another that I just started Aesop with. So we are doing well with writing overall this year.

Jeri

Both of my older boys have finished Homer B, and my oldest son is doing CW Diogenes Maxim this year. Homer B was challenging, but it has provided the foundation we need to complete the rest of the CW series. CW Maxim is not as teacher intensive, so if you can make it through Homer B, you are home free...

I like this series so much that my youngest son will follow the same path as his older brothers. Whenever I waiver or start to think about other programs, I go to the CW website, read through the scope & sequence of each CW level, and I'm hooked all over again. I think it's an amazing program, and my boys' writing is proof enough for me.

Merry Christmas!

Both of my older boys have finished Homer B, and my oldest son is doing CW Diogenes Maxim this year. Homer B was challenging, but it has provided the foundation we need to complete the rest of the CW series. CW Maxim is not as teacher intensive, so if you can make it through Homer B, you are home free...

I like this series so much that my youngest son will follow the same path as his older brothers. Whenever I waiver or start to think about other programs, I go to the CW website, read through the scope & sequence of each CW level, and I'm hooked all over again. I think it's an amazing program, and my boys' writing is proof enough for me.

Merry Christmas!

This is sooo encouraging. I must admit that I am afraid of doing Homer B, but if it will help my son to be a better writer, I am willing to dive in. I started to re-read some of the Homer stuff again. I am slowly starting to understand. I am going to work with my son to help him to grasp it together. I appreciate the feedback. I needed others to help encourage me because I was feeling discouraged.

Merry Christmas all,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

This is sooo encouraging. I must admit that I am afraid of doing Homer B, but if it will help my son to be a better writer, I am willing to dive in. I started to re-read some of the Homer stuff again. I am slowly starting to understand. I am going to work with my son to help him to grasp it together. I appreciate the feedback. I needed others to help encourage me because I was feeling discouraged.

Merry Christmas all,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I hope it works out for you. :)