Menu

Do you really need the TWSS with IEW?

NoPlaceLikeHome

Do you really need the TWSS with IEW? Is the SWI plus the continuations of SICC and extras such as one or two theme base writing enough ?

Will I miss too much if I do skip the TWSS? What do you use?

I have read here that you do not *need* the TWSS if you have the SWI. But, the SWI does not include all the Units presented in the TWSS. I know you won't really understand what I'm saying, but I am using the SWI-B with my 6th grader. It is missing Unit IV of the TWSS, and I felt this was a necessary baby-step for my son before doing Unit VI. So, I'm very glad that I have both. The TWSS is wonderful for getting "teacher training" - inside tips, thoughts about student's work - what to expect, when, what, and how to correct things. But, my boys really like learning from someone beside Mom, and Mr. Pudewa is a very talented teacher.

I haven't used the SICC.

so I started with the SWI B and then now the SWICC (we're just about half way thru) with my 5th and 7th graders. I guess we've missed some units/subtlies (sic) but it's been no problem and I love it.

We watch the DVD and do the lesson and there ya go. My kids are pretty easy though and have a good background in writing from their very good public schools (gasp) - plus I've read a ton on the IEWFamilies yahoo group. Excellent resource - I learn better that way but that's just me. I love the program and would do an ad for it if I were asked ....:)

I watched TWSS while folding laundry- my kids popped in now and then and they do enjoy Mr Pudewa. They were lucky enough to take a seminar with him last spring and they enjoyed it.

I found SWI A moved too quickly for my 9 yo but we do use the theme based writing. He likes the assignments from Fun and Fascinating and I feel more confident teaching them since I have watched twss.

Sometimes if I feel like they are frustrated we watch a unit on SWI as well.

If you can borrow the set it would be ideal. If you are part of a homeshcool grp maybe you could buy it for a "library" and share it.

As a matter of interest, the South African agents for IEW sell only the SWI plus the continuations. One would assume that this was discussed with Mr Pudewa and he has agreed that it is enough.

The agent supplies various homeschool curriculum and strives to make it cost effective given exchange rates and the value of our currency, so this would have been the reasoning behind providing only a part of the program.

The other IEW products they carry are the Poetry Memorization and Spelling.

For those who use the TWSS, do you watch it with your children? Is the TWSS helpful for children to watch?

The TWSS would be ok for my 9th grader ~ but I think an elementary student would be overwhelmed because Mr. Pudewa is introducing many, many things at once - always saying, "Now, you *won't* do this to your students!!" And, he really talks *to* the students in the SWI videos. He is sillier in SWI-B, more serious tho' still humorous in the SWI-C. I haven't seen the SWI-A.

hth