Menu

Yet another violin question

The problem with doing violin without a teacher is that the first couple of years esp. it is all about how you hold the violin and the bow. Your arm, elbows, etc. must in the correct positions.

Of course many people have taught themselves through the ages though - esp. the more blue-grass style of playing.

The Suzuki method is by ear. You don't learn to read music at first. But my Suzuki teacher stressed body position even more than my other teachers.

The problem with doing violin without a teacher is that the first couple of years esp. it is all about how you hold the violin and the bow. Your arm, elbows, etc. must in the correct positions.

Of course many people have taught themselves through the ages though - esp. the more blue-grass style of playing.

The Suzuki method is by ear. You don't learn to read music at first. But my Suzuki teacher stressed body position even more than my other teachers.

I second this.

Could she have lessons with a nearby school orchestra teacher?

that comes with a DVD. It's called Essential Elements 2000 plus for Strings. We bought it at our local music store.

It does a good job of explaining how to hold the instrument and bow and takes you through the lessons on the video. It also comes with a CD to play the exercises along with.

DH is a band director and he uses this line of books with his beginning students. DD has taken 1 year of violin, but we just won't be able to afford lessons this spring. He got her this book to be able to play along with the DVD/CD and because it has good explanations.

I would second trying to afford just a few lessons to begin with and then maybe a follow up lesson every once in a while. Our instructor is willing to let DD come once a month or so to check her progress and give tips.

I second this.

Could she have lessons with a nearby school orchestra teacher?

There aren't any. We're more marching band down here. There are a very few teachers, but they are far away and charge way more than we can afford. So I was just looking for some decent alternatives.

If you buy the Suzuki Violin 1 book, you can find You Tube videos of almost all the pieces in the book. There are also instructional lessons for beginners. You (as the parent/adult) could watch the You Tube video yourself and then explain to your child.

My son plays and his teacher has him watch You Tube videos of the songs when he's learning them as well as listen to the cd. Watching the videos really helps him see how the song is supposed to be played. His bowing technique has improved a lot because of this.