Menu

Not too unhealthy dessert or other recipes needed that use a lot of milk

I have some raw milk starting to turn and wondered what I could do with it that's not too unhealthy! Anyone have a good bread pudding recipe? What else could I do with it? I have about a gallon to use up. Thanks!

Now I thought raw milk couldn't go bad. If it turned, it was just a natural yogurt or clabber cream. :confused:

Now I thought raw milk couldn't go bad. If it turned, it was just a natural yogurt or clabber cream. :confused:

Well yes, it can go bad. It just doesn't turn rancid like pasteurized milk does. But yes, you can let it culture and clabber. You can also just go ahead and use it in things like mashed potatoes, quiche, biscuits, pancakes. Depending on how far gone it is I might choose to only use it in savory dishes. Same goes for raw butter or cream, because they develop a cheesy taste.

Here's a site that has some ideas.

I have some raw milk starting to turn and wondered what I could do with it that's not too unhealthy! Anyone have a good bread pudding recipe? What else could I do with it? I have about a gallon to use up. Thanks!

Sour cream. Just let it sour and it will thicken and be yummy sour cream.

Butter. Make it fast and then put it in the freezer. What you have is then is the expensive "cultured" butter.

Make yogurt.

Let it thicken. Then, put it in a cheesecloth and let it hang from somewhere. LOL I use the doorknobs on my cabinets. Put something under the package of stuff in the cheesecloth. The stuff that drips out it whey. Put it in your frig and keep it to use in ferments. Let the stuff in the cheesecloth drip until it's dry. It usually takes overnight. When it's the texture of cream cheese, you have cultured cream cheese. Add herbs - basil is nice - and you have a nice spread for bagels, sandwiches, just meat and cheese. You can also use it to make cheesecake. You might want to add some strawberries and see if it tastes like strawberry cream cheese.

Remember - raw milk ferments rather than go "bad".

You can also use it to make ricotta cheese. This isn't the true ricotta that is literally "recooked" because it's made from the leftovers from cheese making. Still, it is very tasty and I've used it for lasagna as well as slightly sweetened and served with fruit. Yummmm!

Sour cream. Just let it sour and it will thicken and be yummy sour cream.

Butter. Make it fast and then put it in the freezer. What you have is then is the expensive "cultured" butter.

Not to be argumentative, but if they've already been drinking from that bottle she won't be able to skim off enough pure cream to do either of these things. And then you still have the skimmed milk to deal with. But yeah, homemade butter is yummmmmy! :)

Not to be argumentative, but if they've already been drinking from that bottle she won't be able to skim off enough pure cream to do either of these things. And then you still have the skimmed milk to deal with. But yeah, homemade butter is yummmmmy! :)

I just let the entire thing clabber. It gets thick like sour cream and we use it like sour cream. Maybe this isn't true sour cream? Guess not since it's made from whole milk. But gosh, it's yummy on a potato.

I just let the entire thing clabber. It gets thick like sour cream and we use it like sour cream. Maybe this isn't true sour cream? Guess not since it's made from whole milk. But gosh, it's yummy on a potato.

I'll bet it is delicious! Have you ever tried making smoothies with it?