Menu

CLE..order 1 unit or all 10

mom31257

I want to switch my 1st grader to CLE next semester in Language Arts, Reading, and Math. He is used to workbook type activities in these subjects, but would you just order the 1st unit to give it a try, or go ahead and order the whole grade level? I plan on starting LA in 101 and Math in 201. I Would I need the TM to do just the 1st LU in those subjects?

Thanks!

For $10 (I think. It might be less), you can order the first light unit of every subject in a particular grade level.

If you only want one LU for one subject to try it, you might try calling. Sometimes they'll send it to you for free.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did call them, but they did not offer it for free. They did tell me that if you try something and are not satisfied in the first 30 days, they can refund money on things like teacher's guides. She told me I would need the TG for the first unit of language arts, but not necessarily the first unit of math.

I did this. I ordered the first two LU's in Reading. Not only did I want to test it on dd, but I wasn't sure one LU would give me a full feel for it or see where it led. I ended up afterwards ordering the rest. I think it's a great idea and they make it easy to do.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner - we do a LOT of CLE. For 1st grade (and 2nd grade), I've used the TM a couple of times. It has a lot of "teaching reference" content. For example, the 2nd grade TM has a big section on creative writing assignments. There were (lowering head in shame) a couple of instances where I didn't know the answer and had to look it up in the TM. However, if you are looking budget, you can definitely go without the TMs.

Also, because of shipping, I buy the LU's in 5's. Like - you buy LU 100-105 and then when you're finished, you can buy LU 106-110. Then can zip through a LU in about 3-5 weeks (if you do that subject every day).

Also, it is definitely workbook style learning, but the student has to do a lot of writing. There's a lot of fill-in-the-blank, some copywork, penmanship, answering questions, building sentences, etc (in the LA). I think it's a good, easy to implement program (and cheap).

We are using Learning to Read and 2nd grade LA....

I ordered the TM for both and three light units to try out...then made another order for the rest after we decided that we LOVE it!

The only reason I did this is because I am the world's worse to jump in with both feet on something and purchase the whole dang thing...I'm getting better at that though! :D

I have a 1st grader who is using all three of those. I ordered the first 3 books of each to "get my feet wet". Here are my thoughts:

1. You need the teacher manual's for Learning to Read and the Math. Especially for learning to read. It has the stories that go with the letter cards + lots of extra activities. The math also has the story problems, dictation, money jar amounts and daily activities listed (not just what is in the workbook).

2. The Language Arts will not start until With the Learning to Read Book 5!!!! I so wish I had known that. It looks good but it assumes that your child can read/do all the sight words/phonics presented up to that point.

3. It starts easy-easy. Like Kindergarten easy but the climb is fairly steep. My kiddo has still done 2ish lessons a day and is now in books 103 for each but looking ahead just a few more books makes me realize how quickly they add things in. The reading level by the end of 1st grade is advanced I think.

4. There is a schedule that shows you how to incorporate the Learning to Read, 1st grade Reader, Language Arts and Math in the Teacher's Handbook. That is really valuable for me b/c I'd have been worried about fitting all the reading lessons into a year otherwise.

Here is what I think you will want to have on hand bare minimum "to test it out":

1. Learning to Read -

Book 101

Teacher Guide

Word Flash Cards

Picture Flash Cards

(The Phrase Flash cards and readers do not start until book 102. The sound slider is completely optional)

2. Language Arts -

Nothing unless you just want to see it. I think the examples online are probably sufficient

3. Math

Book 101

Teacher Guide

Addition & Subtraction Cards (these are really pretty neat with the coded system)

(The counting book doesn't start until book 103. The calendar book and counting chart are completely optional. Counting book too really. You will need a clock of some sort starting in book 103 but it doesn't have to be theirs).

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

I have a 1st grader who is using all three of those. I ordered the first 3 books of each to "get my feet wet". Here are my thoughts:

1. You need the teacher manual's for Learning to Read and the Math. Especially for learning to read. It has the stories that go with the letter cards + lots of extra activities. The math also has the story problems, dictation, money jar amounts and daily activities listed (not just what is in the workbook).

2. The Language Arts will not start until With the Learning to Read Book 5!!!! I so wish I had known that. It looks good but it assumes that your child can read/do all the sight words/phonics presented up to that point.

3. It starts easy-easy. Like Kindergarten easy but the climb is fairly steep. My kiddo has still done 2ish lessons a day and is now in books 103 for each but looking ahead just a few more books makes me realize how quickly they add things in. The reading level by the end of 1st grade is advanced I think.

4. There is a schedule that shows you how to incorporate the Learning to Read, 1st grade Reader, Language Arts and Math in the Teacher's Handbook. That is really valuable for me b/c I'd have been worried about fitting all the reading lessons into a year otherwise.

Here is what I think you will want to have on hand bare minimum "to test it out":

1. Learning to Read -

Book 101

Teacher Guide

Word Flash Cards

Picture Flash Cards

(The Phrase Flash cards and readers do not start until book 102. The sound slider is completely optional)

2. Language Arts -

Nothing unless you just want to see it. I think the examples online are probably sufficient

3. Math

Book 101

Teacher Guide

Addition & Subtraction Cards (these are really pretty neat with the coded system)

(The counting book doesn't start until book 103. The calendar book and counting chart are completely optional. Counting book too really. You will need a clock of some sort starting in book 103 but it doesn't have to be theirs).

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Thanks for the help! I plan on starting with the I Wonder Reader because he is reading well. We are half-way through BJU 1st grade reading. I did notice on a schedule that the LA starts earlier than I Wonder. Should I do those LA LUs first and start I Wonder where LA should correspond? I'm actually starting Math in 2nd grade because he did great on the 1st grade.

Ok, looking at the schedule....

Learning to Read is scheduled from Week 1 through Week 18 ending on day 90. You are skipping all that (yeah!).

Language Arts starts in Week 7 on day 31 (corresponding to the beginning of LTR book 105). They do one lesson per day, a day for review, and a day of testing...

According to the schedule, they do not schedule any Reading lessons for Weeks 19 or 20! The Language Arts does book 104 during this two weeks.

So.... this means that the I Wonder book is meant to begin with Language Arts Book 105. So I Wonder 101 goes with LA 105, I Wonder 102 goes with LA 106 and so forth. :)

:iagree:AHA!! I don't follow that schedule, but that makes sense that the reader would start at LU 105. We're on 106 and he's made it through 4 stories now. He couldn't read anything out of it for the first 5 months.

A little coffee makes it allll clearer... :tongue_smilie: