Menu

Chicken pot pie recipe wanted

I have a really good recipe that calls for 2 cans of cream of potato soup, but I'm trying to get away from using that sort of processed food. I found another one that said, 'classic chicken pot pie' and planned to try it but just now realized it doesn't call for potatoes at all. I have frozen peas and carrots and chicken broth and onions and celery and chicken of course...

I know I can find one on line, but I love the tried and true results of the Hive. I will make my own crust.

Thanks.

Every time I make this recipe, it gets rave reviews. Slightly adapted from the Williams Sonoma Chicken cookbook.

1 cup carrots

1 cup peas

1 cup corn

2 tbs. butter

1 lb. chicken, cut into bite size pieces

Chopped onion or shallot

2-3 tbs. flour

1 1/2 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup milk

1 tbs. chopped parsley (optional)

Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add the shallot/onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.

Sprinkle in the flour and stirr well. Stir in the stock and the milk, and the parsley (if using), and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots, peas, and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in prepared pie pan, and cover with pie dough. Cut a few slits in the center of the top with the tip of a knife.

Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

1/2 c butter

1/2 c flour

1 or 2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 c chicken broth

2 c cream (or milk)

Melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter and add spices. Cook over low heat for a minute, stirring. Add broth and cream. Heat to boil.

Add 2 cups cooked chicken chunks, 6 cups chopped, boiled potatoes, and veggies (canned or thawed from frozen) of your choice. Place in 9 X 13 PAMMED casserole dish. Cover with pastry crust (homemade or store-bought). Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes or 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Cover pie crust with foil when browned. I like to add basil (fresh or dried) and celery flakes (if I don't have celery to add in with the veggies.) If you really like decadence, put pie crust in the bottom of the dish too.

This can also be used to make chicken and dumplings - I usually add more liquid (1 to 2 cups more) to thin the sauce, and then place dumplings on top. Cook covered (no peeking) for 10-15 minutes, then uncovered for 10-15 minutes.

Easy Chicken Pie

(makes its own crust!)

Preheat oven to 350º.

Mix together and pour into greased 9x13x2 casserole dish:

3 or 4 large boneless chicken breasts, cooked and diced

2 cans cream of celery or cream of chicken soup -- OR -- use homemade (recipe below*)

1½ to 2 cups chicken broth (use more for thinner “gravyâ€, or less if you want it thicker)

~ ~ ~

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, melted

1 cup self-rising flour

3/4 cups milk

Mix melted margarine, flour, and milk in a separate bowl and pour evenly over chicken mixture. DO NOT STIR!

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown crust forms. Serve hot.

Variations:

Add 2 cups vegetables to chicken and soup mixture: steamed or boiled carrots, potatoes, peas, or other vegetables. 1 16-oz. can of mixed vegetables or peas & carrots may be used.

Canned chicken may be used. If using canned chicken, do not drain. Reduce additional broth to 1 cup.

Makes about 6 servings

*Homemade Cream Soup/White Sauce

3/4 cup flour

2 tablespoons butter (can use margarine or cooking oil)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth

1 1/2 cups milk

salt (optional)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Slowly add milk & broth, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add salt if desired.