Menu

sotw or biblioplan w/sotw?

sherry80

I am trying to decide between this. I looked at samples of biblioplan and it looks great. The one concern I had was that it looked like you would be reading 2-3 chapters of sotw each week. I thought most did sotw about 1 chapter per week.

I'm thinking maybe biblioplan might be too advanced for us (1st and 2nd grader)

Maybe I should just do sotw with activity guide and think about biblioplan when they are a little older?

What do you think?

Sherry

Just so you know--SOTW has more than 36 chapters in a volume. It would be tough to get through in a traditional 180 day school year at just one chapter a week.

For example, Volume 2 has 42 chapters. That is why folks like Biblioplan use multiple chapters in a week. I do, however think that the two combine very nicely. You can easily add those items you like from the activity book as needed.

I really like what I've seen of Biblioplan, but I've always used the AG with SOTW and found it contains plenty of book recommendations, as well as narration examples, comprehension questions, encyclopedia readings, activities (games, recipes, reinactments, costumes, and so many other things!)...It's a gold mine. I just do a chapter a week of SOTW, with maybe 5 weeks where I combine a bit (usually when there's not an historical fiction book or great activity I want to do).

BiblioPlan is worth the money just for the book recommendations. I wouldn't miss it.

Simply go through SOTW as your spine and add in BiblioPlan books as you see fit. The recommendations in BP are far better than in the SOTW activity book. (OK, this is just my humble opinion.) BP has a very Christian slant, and recommends many missionary and faith building books.

For our family, doing more than one chapter of SOTW in a week meant zero retention. Really, there is no rush. We will not make the 3 cycles of history in four years, but we do read many fantastic, character building books!

Blessings!

The biblical slant is what I like so much about Biblioplan. Some of the family read alouds looked a little above my kids ages but I guess I can take what I want from SOTW AG and BIBlioplan and ditch the rest.

It is really affordable.

Does the AG for SOTW have everything you need? Or where do you get maps and timeline figures from?

Sherry

BiblioPlan is worth the money just for the book recommendations. I wouldn't miss it.

Simply go through SOTW as your spine and add in BiblioPlan books as you see fit. The recommendations in BP are far better than in the SOTW activity book. (OK, this is just my humble opinion.) BP has a very Christian slant, and recommends many missionary and faith building books.

Are the books appropriate for K and 1st? The samples I saw looked like it was good for combining with older children, but not necessarily for using with the littles.

We used Biblioplan Ancients over a two-year period and I liked it.

I will say, however, that I used it as a guide and not a manual. If you feel that you have to read everything, you will get overwhelmed. But if you choose carefully, according to your dc's needs, then it is a wonderful tool.

We desired a Biblical perspective as well, and enjoyed the The Children's Illustrated Bible for the suggested Bible readings. We also used the Usborne Interent-Linked History Encyclopedia. That added a lot of wonderful visuals. I chose independent reading from the suggested lists to round it all out.

The only thing that I found lacking was discussion questions and more hand-holding in the way of making text connections. When you read from SOTW one day and the Bible the next you can't assume that a young dc will make the connections. If this is not a concern of yours, then I wouldn't worry, but if it is I think it's worth pointing out. There can be a slight element of disjointedness, if you will, with Biblioplan if your looking for something that flows and has obvious connections.

Since your dc are so young, Living Learning Books' Ancient History Curriculum may appeal to you in terms of adding that Biblical content along with SOTW. Imho, it does a better job of making connections with multiple texts.

My 2 cents,

Are the books appropriate for K and 1st? The samples I saw looked like it was good for combining with older children, but not necessarily for using with the littles.

BiblioPlan divides the reading selections into:

K-2

3+

5+

Family Read Alouds

Optional Resources and Fiction

Also included are the resources to be used in classtime, such as Kingfisher, SOTW, etc.