Menu

Spelling and grammar

Hi! I'm trying to figure out if I should start these materials with dd or go in a different direction.

Looking at the first edition of the WTM (because that's what our library has), it says use phonics pathways, about half way thru that start spelling workout A, then half way thru that it says to start English for the Thoughtful Child.

My dd is 8, has an ld and barely reads- although she's really making some leaps and bounds this year, and she also has problems writing. I've decided for now not to really work on improving her writing. We're going to try typing, but she can't look at a computer screen long so not sure how that will go.

Anyhow, she's half way thru with phonics pathways. Using it she's made some good progress with reading, we've been using it for spelling also had positive results. So at this point, all things considered, do I need to add in spelling for her, as the WTM suggest? And with her writing difficulties, should I go on to EFTTC? Is there something out there that would be better for her situation?

The newer editions of TWTM suggest other curriculum grammar and spelling. You may want to head over to a bookstore and do a drive-by reading for just those suggestions.

For a ld student, I wouldn't do Spelling Workout; it just isn't structured or repetitive enough. I'd use Spelling Mastery or Apples and Pears.

http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/

https://www.sraonline.com/products.html?PHPSESSID=6c95a0b70b846c6c1e06ef8a972c1052&tid=9&sid=3014&open=

Look to buy Spelling Mastery at either amazon or ebay for a much better price.

For grammar I suggest First Language Lessons written by Jesse Wise.

I also wouldn't shelve handwriting; I'd use Handwriting Without Tears.

HTH, Stacy

Thank you. I'll check out those materials.

On handwriting, I didn't say that right. My DH came thru the living room talking to me and I was distracted. We do practice handwriting, we are not going to do cursive any time soon is what I meant. We are going to try teaching her to type since kids are having to type so much now. But cursive we're going to hold off on until some point when she seems ready for it.

Thank you. I'll check out those materials.

On handwriting, I didn't say that right. My DH came thru the living room talking to me and I was distracted. We do practice handwriting, we are not going to do cursive any time soon is what I meant. We are going to try teaching her to type since kids are having to type so much now. But cursive we're going to hold off on until some point when she seems ready for it.

I have had much better results with cursive for my LD 8yo than printing. He reads and writes better in cursive.

Cursive for her is just not going to happen anytime soon. It's painful. After talking to others here with similar problems we decided it's best to wait.

She also has problems recognizing the same letter in different styles of writing. Cursive really gives her a hard time there too. I make puzzles for her. Lots of different puzzles, but one is where I cut out different styles of the same letter, say "A", and hide them in a block filled in with different letters, then she has to find all of the A's-- to help train her eyes so maybe she eventually will recognize different prints.

Apples and Pears would be my top choice for spelling, as Stacy mentioned. It is wonderful and is easy to use.

If you need more reading help, check out http://www.3rsplus.com for the I See Sam books. They go from K-3rd grade and are wonderful for struggling readers. They took my 14dd with LDs and an IQ of 38 up to reading at nearly a 4th grade leve (even though tests said she would not get to K level work).