Menu

How does this prealgebra class sound?

Amy loves Bud

I'm considering teaching a prealgebra class next school year for about 6 kids. I would use Lial's BCM, covering 2-3 sections each week, as th core curriculum. We will skip chapter one, with mastery of those materials a prerequisite for signing up for the class. I'd also like the students to have a working knowledge of fractions/decimals/percents, though we will cover that in the class, so total mastery isn't necessary.

As a fun supplement, I will read aloud 1-2 sections from the new LOF prealgebra book each week and then have the group work the problems together.

We will meet two days per week for 1.5 hours, and the class will include assigned homework, chapter reviews and tests, as well as a final exam. The class will run 34 weeks.

Thoughts on the content?

How much would you be willing to pay for such a class if you were indeed interested in outsourcing math (I am an M.D. and very comfortable with math, have taught science in coop previously.)?

What about the twice weekly meetings? That is my preference, but I would consider 3 one hour meetings. I'm afraid we'll run into lots of kids missing class with that because of long weekends and such.

Thanks for your input. I'm new at this and want to get it right!

As a fun supplement, I will read aloud 1-2 sections from the new LOF prealgebra book each week and then have the group work the problems together.

This is what would cause me to drop out. There is no way I could learn math by listening to someone read aloud from a math book. I think this part could prove very frustrating for kids.

Tara

My ds would love the class, especially the Life of Fred exercises.

I'd choose the twice a week option vs. three hours, but hope the meeting time worked within our schedule. (End of the day is easiest on us.)

A monthly fee might encourage parents to participate if they had an available exit.

I plan to start teaching Algebra I and Geometry classes next year using Jacobs. My plan is to set these classes up to meet for 1.5 hours, 2x/week. I think I'll start with a cost of $60/month. That's just $5 for each hour of classtime. For the first year I do this, I'll have a minimum of just 2 kids/class in order to keep that rate, but I'll make it for a minimum of 4 kids/class the next year. I'll still hold a class with less than 4 kids in it, but would charge more for it. It just wouldn't be worth my while to get less than $20 for each hour of classroom instruction when I'll still have grading to do outside of that time. I'm going to do the classes in my home.

I also plan to add at least one additional level of math each year and to add in physics (my major) as well. If I end up finding a chemistry course that I like and think I could teach well enough to charge for it, I'll do chemistry as well. There are NO secular science classes in my area. I'd love to be able to teach a secular biology course, but I don't think I could do justice to it. I've barely managed to stay above water with my 14yo science-fanatic doing biology this year.

All my classes would be 1.5 hours, 2x/week.

I haven't actually posted them yet, so I don't know how much interest there will be. I know that at this point, all the math classes available in the area use Saxon. Those classes meet for 2 hours, 1x/week and cost $45/month. They also don't do any grading. The classes are instruction only. The homework and tests are to be graded at home.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

This is what would cause me to drop out. There is no way I could learn math by listening to someone read aloud from a math book. I think this part could prove very frustrating for kids.

Tara

Tara, I'm interested in this. Are you familiar with Life of Fred? My son loves the fractions and decimals books from LOF, because they read like a (very silly)story - perfect for the middle school age group. He has told me that this part of the class will be very fun for him.

If you are familiar with these texts, what would you do to incorporate them? Or would you? Thanks!

My ds would love the class, especially the Life of Fred exercises.

I'd choose the twice a week option vs. three hours, but hope the meeting time worked within our schedule. (End of the day is easiest on us.)

A monthly fee might encourage parents to participate if they had an available exit.

Great. Thanks for the info. I was thinking about a monthly fee for the same reason.

I was thinking about doing the class first thing on T/Th morning. Because it's math, you know, and math gets done first thing. But you make a good point. Needing to drive and spend time in a class away from home would really disrupt the homeschool morning. I'll think about that.

Thanks!

Tara, I'm interested in this. Are you familiar with Life of Fred? My son loves the fractions and decimals books from LOF, because they read like a (very silly)story - perfect for the middle school age group. He has told me that this part of the class will be very fun for him.

If you are familiar with these texts, what would you do to incorporate them? Or would you? Thanks!

Yes, I have actually read the Fractions and Decimals books all the way through, and I have given the algebra book a fairly heavy browse.

I think they are great texts. I do think, however, that for some kids, just listening to it being read would drive them batty. Were it me wanting to incorporate BCM and LOF, I would probably do one meeting of BCM and one meeting of LOF and assign homework from each book so that the kids got the "total experience" from each text. I know that LOF books are not expensive.

I read my original post and it sounded rather brusque. I apologize for that ... I was just ready to start school and formed my answer quickly.

I think your idea of a math co-op class sounds great, and I think the books you have chosen are great. Were it me, I would be able to pay $10 a week. (It's worth more than that, but that's what I could afford.)

Can I be part of your class?? ;)

Tara

ETA: The monthly fee idea sounds like a good one.

No, you weren't brusque at all! I just wanted to be sure you were familiar with LOF, because it's not quite the same as reading, say, the Saxon 8/7 aloud, lol! But I can see where kids who don't learn that way might just be put off by the whole thing. I'm going to have to consider it carefully and talk to some other parents about it.

THanks for the info on what you would be willing to pay. It's close to the ballpark I'm considering, so that's good news for me.

And, I would love for you to be in my class! It might bea commute though! :lol:

I think it sounds great. We would love to participate if we were in your area.

We paid $70 per month for a pre-algebra class (saxon) that met for 2 hrs once a week. The tutor was also available for help after hours at no charge by email or phone.

I think in a classroom setting, it might be fun to have different kids in the class read different 'characters' from Fred. When we read it together here, we kid around with voices for 'the reader' 'Fred' 'CC Coalback' etc. I'd love for DS to enjoy this book with a class!

Good luck!

Angie has a good point, to consider your hourly rate when deciding how much to charge.

If it were me signing up my child, I'd prefer an early afternoon class (so I could get home before rush hour!) twice a week. Your plan for materials sounds great. You aren't in Denver, are you? :lol: As for how much I'd pay... But a monthly fee might be easier for my budget to handle than a big fee all at once. Probably harder on your bookkeeping, though.

I think your price would encourage a lot of families. I was crunching the numbers and you are being very generous. Tutoring goes for $20 - $50 an hour around here, but a real class...wow.

No, you weren't brusque at all! I just wanted to be sure you were familiar with LOF, because it's not quite the same as reading, say, the Saxon 8/7 aloud, lol! But I can see where kids who don't learn that way might just be put off by the whole thing. I'm going to have to consider it carefully and talk to some other parents about it.

THanks for the info on what you would be willing to pay. It's close to the ballpark I'm considering, so that's good news for me.

And, I would love for you to be in my class! It might bea commute though! :lol: