Menu

s/o on etiquette questions: What etiquette book do you recommend?

I like Miss Manners tone and wit. Have you read or do you recommend any of her books?

I have a older teen dd who is very confident, casual, and rarely offended. As a consequence, she can sometimes unknowingly be inconsiderate as she uses her own barometer of what would bother her. Since not much bothers her, her barometer is often inaccurate. :) I was thinking a good etiquette book would help reinforce some of the lessons I've tried to teach over the years.

I think very sensitive people are usually more considerate. It's easier for them to treat others as they would like to be treated--the very definition of good manners. However, when someone is *very* laid-back, it's hard to apply the golden rule there. For instance, if dd gave someone a gift, and they didn't say "thank you" or send a note, she could care less. You could come into her room, sit on her bed, use her stuff without asking, and she wouldn't care. It's much harder to teach a child like this good manners. She's a pleasant person but finds formal manners to be stuffy and uptight.

Any good book suggestions?

I only read Miss Manners. I used to have, and read, the others, but since finding Miss Manners, I left the others without a backwards glance.:)

And so, yes, I would recommend Miss Manners for your dd. All of her books, although of course the primary one would be the first, "Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior."