Menu

We start Christmas school this week! DD is so excited!

This is our first year homeschooling so I'm trying to establish things we can look forward to each year. So I'm declaring this week as Christmas School Week! We're foregoing the regular schoolwork in favor of Christmas themed things.

We'll be learning about reindeer (both DD's are just obsessed with reindeer this year), we'll be learning about snow and making our own snow (we do not get real snow down here in sunny FL LOL). We'll be making up little bags of reindeer food to sprinkle on the lawn on Christmas Eve night. We'll be making bags of snowman poop and reindeer poop to give to family members (awesome, huh? LOL, Reindeer poop is Whoppers candy and snowman poop is mini marshmallows). We'll be learning about how the greatest gift of all was Jesus Christ and we will be making our own baby Jesus doll. We'll do some Christmas crafts. And I'll also do some Christmas phonics and Christmas math too. I'll just incorporate something Christmasy into it LOL.

DD5 is sooooo looking forward to it! Okay, I am too LOL.

We usually learn about the Christmas customs in 3 or 4 other countries. We read about them in those "Christmas in ___" books from the library, we make decorations like those the people in each country would use, and we make foods that would be considered Christmas foods in those countries.

This year, we'll also be reading an old OOP book I bought years ago for CHEAP at a used book sale. It's called Ask Dr. Christmas by Edith Dorian (1951). It's about a family whose father is a medical doctor, and he "collects" Christmas traditions that he learns from his multicultural patients. At the back of the book there are several recipes mentioned in the story.

Edited by ereks mom

Oooh, good idea ereks mom! I don't have time to incorporate it this year, but I'll definitely be incorporating it next year. But at our homeschool group on Wendesday, we are doing a "Christmas Around the World" type thing where the kids will be learning about other country's Christmas customs and making crafts. So I guess that will work for this year. :D

Cat, how could I forget letters to Santa?? I have to include that as well.

We're doing something similar here.

We started the week off yesterday with a trip to the Children's museum of Richmond and the rest of the week we'll be working on winter holiday crafts that I found in my Evan moor art for all seasons and december theme pockets books.

Today is a reindeer craft, which my dd is really looking forward too. Although right now they have a giant playmobil set up going so we'll wait until later to do our craft.

This is our first year homeschooling so I'm trying to establish things we can look forward to each year. So I'm declaring this week as Christmas School Week! We're foregoing the regular schoolwork in favor of Christmas themed things.

We'll be learning about reindeer (both DD's are just obsessed with reindeer this year), we'll be learning about snow and making our own snow (we do not get real snow down here in sunny FL LOL). We'll be making up little bags of reindeer food to sprinkle on the lawn on Christmas Eve night. We'll be making bags of snowman poop and reindeer poop to give to family members (awesome, huh? LOL, Reindeer poop is Whoppers candy and snowman poop is mini marshmallows). We'll be learning about how the greatest gift of all was Jesus Christ and we will be making our own baby Jesus doll. We'll do some Christmas crafts. And I'll also do some Christmas phonics and Christmas math too. I'll just incorporate something Christmasy into it LOL.

DD5 is sooooo looking forward to it! Okay, I am too LOL.

This sounds like so much fun. Where did you get the Christmas phonics and math? Where did you get your ideas for crafts? My 5 yr. old would love it! And my 10 yr. old would love to do something else this week!