Menu

HSA questions?

1. If you have one, what bank is it through?

2. Is it through your employer?

3. If not through an employer, where do you go?

4. Is there a monthly fee?

5. Do you make direct contributions yourself or is it all done through your employer, or both?

6. Is there a list somewhere that shows what can be paid for with this money?

We're starting to research it for next year. Dh's employer doesn't offer one, so we'll be doing this on our own. (They just cut our medical benefits significantly and we hope to make some of it up through an HSA.) Our health insurance recommends Wells Fargo. Would it be smart just to go through them? Problem is, there's a monthly fee. I really don't like paying monthly fees on a savings account!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Wells Fargo until December 31, Fidelity after that.
Yes.

Yes, apparently our employer pays a monthly fee. We were told that if we did not move our account to Fidelity that we would have to start paying fees on the Wells Fargo account beginning in January.
5. Do you make direct contributions yourself or is it all done through your employer, or both?
It's all done through my employer. They put in $1000.00/year and we put in our amount pre-tax.
Yes, I've seen some lists on the internet of what is an is not payable from an HSA. The lists I've seen make sense to me. Let me know if you cannot find one via Google.
We're starting to research it for next year. Dh's employer doesn't offer one, so we'll be doing this on our own. (They just cut our medical benefits significantly and we hope to make some of it up through an HSA.) Our health insurance recommends Wells Fargo. Would it be smart just to go through them? Problem is, there's a monthly fee. I really don't like paying monthly fees on a savings account!

Wells Fargo has been fine to deal with. We had multiple debit cards, but they now charge $5.00, one-time, for every pair of cards you get over the first two. Fidelity looks fine, also.

Good luck!

We have one through Wells Fargo. It has the Visa logo on it and it also says "debit card" on it, although we don't have a PIN. We just use it like a credit card. I'm not sure if there's a monthly fee paid by the employer; but we have a certain amount deducted from my husband's paycheck each week and it goes to the card. I'm not sure where you can get the list of eligible items; there was a list in our insurance packet. We were also told that we could use the money for ineligible items if we needed to, but we would have to pay the taxes on the amount as well as a 10% penalty. The money has come in really handy for us, as we have a high deductible. It can't be used to pay premiums or cobra, though.

2. Is it through your employer? Yes

4. Is there a monthly fee? No

5. Do you make direct contributions yourself or is it all done through your employer, or both? We dedicate an amount for the year in October and they deduct it from his paycheck.

6. Is there a list somewhere that shows what can be paid for with this money? Yes, we have to print and mail in our claims and they deposit the amount in our account if it is covered. (They are picky about proof of things that are covered...paperwork.)

We have one in braces and the save a good amount with the pre-tax money.

1. Our account is through Town Bank, which has a couple branches in Wisconsin. We chose it because it doesn't have monthly fees, and not because it was close to us geographically or had branches all over the U.S. In all the years we've had it, all business has been done through email/phone/fax. I have never had to set foot in one of the bank's branches. We use the Visa/debit type card to pay for accepted expenses.

2. No.

3. Employer provides a lump sum to take care of health insurance costs. We designated an amount from this for the employer to make monthly contributions for us to the bank directly.

4. No monthly fee.

5. We've done it all three different ways, depending on the employer/salary situation.

6. There may be an IRS publication (can search for on irs.gov, and get it as pdf copy).

Erica in OR

Bancorp

No, they don't offer one through dh's employer.

I went to their website and signed up. You can call around to banks and credit unions in your area also to see if they offer one. Another place to look is http://www.hsafinder.com

Yes and no. There is a $2 monthly fee, but it is waived for direct deposits which we have set up through dh's employer.

We have it set up through DH's employer to DD X dollars a pay period, but we can change that amount any time and contribute extra on our own up to the max of like 6100 or something next year.

Yes, the HSA that you pick will have a list on their site.

HTH