Menu

Adult acne question...

I'm 41, and all of a sudden breaking out even worse than I did as a teenager. I've always had some acne, but usually it was cyclical. Nothing like this. The last breakout comprised of at least 25 major spots, some cystic. I hadn't changed my skin regimen or makeup. I don't have "oily" or too-dry skin. I have a very good diet. I am pretty sure this is hormone related.

I have a history of ovarian cysts, which were under control. However, I think it's back. Can this cause an acne surge from hormone over production?

I have an appointment with my Dr. on Tuesday, and I just want to have a bit of information beforehand...

I'm 41, and all of a sudden breaking out even worse than I did as a teenager. I've always had some acne, but usually it was cyclical. Nothing like this. The last breakout comprised of at least 25 major spots, some cystic. I hadn't changed my skin regimen or makeup. I don't have "oily" or too-dry skin. I have a very good diet. I am pretty sure this is hormone related.

I have a history of ovarian cysts, which were under control. However, I think it's back. Can this cause an acne surge from hormone over production?

I have an appointment with my Dr. on Tuesday, and I just want to have a bit of information beforehand...

I annot speak from experience but I heard that Ovarian cysts can overproduce estrogen.

Some people have found relief from benzoyl peroxide. It is a topical solution but I would definitely consult a doc about the hormone issues.

I annot speak from experience but I heard that Ovarian cysts can overproduce estrogen.

Some people have found relief from benzoyl peroxide. It is a topical solution but I would definitely consult a doc about the hormone issues.

I followed the acne.org regimen for a few days using BP in the strength he recommends. One morning, I woke up and my face was SWOLLEN!!! I looked like a freak. I wish I had taken a picture. It was truly creepy. I think I had a reaction to the BP, so I stopped immediately and went back to salicylic acid and sulphur in the Philosophy regimen. It keeps things at bay, but not perfect.

It sounds like your problem may be hormonal. I was always told that mine was, as well, but when I did some elimination dieting a few years ago, I found that I'm very allergic to palm oil and that I break out every time I eat anything that contains it. Since prices of food started rising, more and more companies are now using palm oil in lots of their foods. Things that never used to break me out now do. So for me, I have to read labels very carefully!