Menu

Book recommendation for teen boy who loves LOTR and Ivanhoe?

Other Works By Tolkien:

- Farmer Giles of Ham; Smith of Wooten Major; Leaf by Niggle -- short stories

- Children of Hurin -- epic, reminiscent of Beowulf crossed with The Iliad

Medieval and/or Fantasy with Medieval-Type Setting:

- Cadfael series (Peters) -- 12th century monk solves mysteries against backdrop of England's political upheaval

- The Sword in the Stone (White) -- King Arthur as a lad under Merlin's tutoring

(first of set of 4 works by White; the entire set is the longer novel "The Once and Future King" -- while handled pretty non-graphically, it does have the Lancelot/Guinevere affair, some witchcraft, and the general low morals of the courtiers -- though, that is what Arthur was trying to fight against)

- The Great and Terrible Quest (Lovett) -- wonderful, medieval adventure

- Auralia's Colors; Cyndere's Midnight (Overstreet) -- first 2 of a fantasy "quadrilogy"

- The Last Unicorn (Beagle) -- I read this MANY years ago, so I can't remember if there's anything objectionable in it

Other Good Adventure Literature

- Ides of April; Beyond the Desert Gate (Ray) -- Ancient Roman adventure

- Eagle of the Ninth (and others by Rosemary Sutcliff)

Other Great Adventure Classics

- The Odyssey (Homer) -- for a great prose version, try the Barnes & Noble version by Samuel Butler

- Ben Hur (Wallace) -- set in ancient Rome

- The Sagas of Icelanders (Kellogg) -- OR -- Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories (Palsson) -- Tolkien was greatly influenced by these sagas

- Beowulf -- a hero, a monster, a monster's mother, a dragon...

- The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas) -- set in 1700s France

Complete fluff, but fun adventure

- Percy Jackson and the Olympian series (Riordan) -- modern teen demi-gods on quests

- Artemis Fowl series (Colfer) -- 12yo evil mastermind vs. characters from Faerie

- His Majesty's Dragon series (Novic) -- Napoleonic Wars and naval battles BUT also with dragons & dragonriders

- Midshipman Quinn series

Non Fiction Gripping Adventure

- Escape From Colditz (Reid) -- WW2 British soldiers attempt to escape an unescapable German POW camp

- Kon Tiki (Heyerdahl) -- 6 men recreate a log raft trip from S. America to the S. Pacific Islands

- Brutchko (Olson) -- 19yo missionary to savage S. American stone age tribe

Edited by Lori D.
Added emphasis

The Eragon series (Eragon, Eldest, & Brisingr) has many of the same elements of LOTR (large quest, set in a mythical world, etc.) as well as pulling names, themes, & places from numerous folklore legends. It was written by a teenage boy too. :)

Don't watch the movie though. It was terrible and gives a bad name to the book, imho.

20,000 leagues under the sea (and other Jules Verne); Tarzan of the Apes; King Solomon's Mines; Treasure Island; Kidnapped; Coral Island; The Lost World (Conan Doyle); The Three Musketeers.

You might want to have a general chat to him in advance about dated attitudes to 'dastardly foreigners' before he reads them though.

Laura

One more question... what would you consider absolute prerequsite reading for Beowulf?

Also, searching the boards I also came across the suggestions of Captain Blood and Quo Vadis. Should those be on the list as well?

Thanks so much, guys. I knew I could count on you! I love my WTM boardies :)

Robin