Menu

Singapore Model book?

Capt_Uhura

Hello Hive,

Are there any reviews for Singapore Math's new Model book? http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SMMLM

I'm having trouble using the bar diagrams in the challenging problems section of CWP3...no problem with the others. I'm wondering if this book would be helpful. The pages you can view at Singporemath.com are the easy ones.

Capt_Uhura

Hello Hive,

Are there any reviews for Singapore Math's new Model book? http://www.singaporemath.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SMMLM

I'm having trouble using the bar diagrams in the challenging problems section of CWP3...no problem with the others. I'm wondering if this book would be helpful. The pages you can view at Singporemath.com are the easy ones.

Capt_Uhura

The sample pages (while few) are fairly representative of this short book. In the section on word problems there are 9 worked examples that give insight on how to use bar diagrams and to use the model.

It might be especially helpful to one whose knowledge of how to work the models is a little unclear, and to one who is somewhat of a "math intuitive", one who can be shown something once and immediately "get it".

But if you already basically "get it", and you've just been stumped by a few tough questions, then it may not be the book you're looking for. It is not anything like a "parents guide to complex word problems."

I wish I'd paid $12 for the book, or read it free as a downloaded pdf, because (while I know it's wrong) I've held it against the otherwise laudatory material because it wasn't the "Singapore Bible" I was expecting for $30.

But I have read, and will re-read this work, and will likely not regret having purchased it in the long run.

Bill

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. CWP3 was our first CWP book.....and some of the challenging problems were hard for ME! We just kept plugging away at them, and now we're in CWP5 and I don't kept stumped very often anymore. Back in level 3, we also used the I-Excel book, and it has a lot of worked out word problems using the bar models.

Spy Car - you confirmed my suspicions. Thank you! That book is not what I'm looking for. You interpreted my post correctly - just been stumped by a couple of problems. I can do it with algebra (except for 1) and i'm sure I'll get it if I keep plugging. Plus, I read on this at Singapore math forums last night and I think that one post is what I needed.

Jen3Boys - thanks for your post! I'm getting ready to place my order at Rainbow so I'll look and see if they have the i-Excel books! My other choice might be level 3 of those new Singapore Math word problems book where each one is worked out for you, I think. Was is the level 3 i-Excel book you used w/ CWP3? Doesn't look like Rainbow carries it.

Capt_Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura