Menu

Anyone successful in getting mold out of a front loader once it's in?

We have a Bosch and there is such a problem with water collecting in the gasket and then mold growing there. I wasn't aware of FL's propensity toward mold until we already had it.

I try to keep the door open, wipe the water out regularly, and run a load of just bleach and water periodically. I've got 5 other people here doing laundry though and not everyone remembers. It absolutely reeks of mold again. I just wiped it out with vinegar.

Anyone gotten rid of the mold once you'd gotten it?

It has been an ongoing problem for us, but I've found a few other things that cut down on the problem.

--Never never never use liquid fabric softener

--Always use powder detergent

--Run a hot cycle (I do this for towels) every 3 days or so

--Make sure there isn't a plug you're supposed to drain. Mine has one, and the water pours out of it like a faucet--smelly, smelly water.

--Double check with the manufacturer and make sure there isn't any 'maintenance' you're supposed to do on it. I was discouraged to hear after spending a fortune on this washer--that I was expected to do this maintenance thing on it where I drained it (enough water to soak 2-3 towels) and wiped out the rubber door in these deep pockets it has that are very difficult to get into--on a regular basis.

Hope this helps! I miss that clean towel smell from my old cheap washer! We don't notice it on clothes too much, but the towels have never been the same.

I never totally got rid of the smell, but I cut it down to a reasonable level by doing these things as well as what you've already done.

I have a set of the original Duets. I love my Duets, but was disappointed when my towels started to stink. We no longer have the problem and this is what I do for laundry:

We leave the washer door open when not in use.

We wash all towels in a load of hot water with no fabric softener. If they are white towels, I use a splash of bleach too. If I don't add bleach, I add vinegar to the softener dispenser. Due to swimmers in the house, I

I use only a very small amount of liquid softener on our clothes, mainly to help with static.

I use liquid Tide HD in the dispenser, but use 1/4-1/2 the amount. We live in the city and our kids are pretty clean, so our clothes aren't covered in mud or I would maybe use more.

If I have a dirtier load (dd3's usually) I soak the load in Oxyclean added to the washer, not the dispenser.

I remove the dispenser and wash it periodically. I also wipe out the boot, wash the door and interior rims of the washer tub at the same time. I usually do this when I am washing towels. I wash it with a rag soaked in bleach, and then just toss it in the load.

I used to not be able to leave towels in the wash for over an hour or else they started to smell. Now I can leave them overnight. I don't, because I am still parnoid...LOL...but the few times I have on accident...then have been fine.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I had a front loader with no mold problems, and after 12 years got another that gave me stinky towels immediately. I used a lot of vinegar and oxyclean in two hot loads and that fixed the problem. I use half POWdered detergent now, use some oxyclean in every load, and use vinegar in the first liquid bucket that will empty (I have no idea what the two buckets are for....I don't use them). Open door and a quick swab out. I live in a very damp climate.

I Had a bit of a problem but now... do bleach more often... remember to take out what's under the "fold" of the plastic part (for the washer) .... leave the door a bit open... And... when I first smelled it... I soaked a few hand towels in vinegar... and then dried them till they were VERY dry.(dryer) That really helps....

Carrie:-)

PS, I think there's something you can buy to add... I also only use liquid eco friendly detergent....