Menu

Finishing math early (K)...where too next?

diaperjoys

My 5.5yo is finding math fairly easy, and will be finishing BJU K math a few months before the end of our school year. I'm hesitant to go on to BJU 1, partly because I'm not positive I want to use that curriculum (pretty teacher intensive), and partly because I'm afraid of being right in the middle of new concepts when we break for summer, and I don't want a rough start next fall.

So what is a good pick for the interim? Singapore? CLE? Something else?? I'm really not familiar with any kindergarten material aside from BJU, and I'd welcome suggestions!

My 5.5yo finished K math (we used Horizons K) in September so we just went on to 1st grade math. Math also comes easily to him and he wouldn't be happy if we went without math. It's going VERY well so far. He's 1/2 way through Singapore PM 1B and it's still easy for him. We're also doing Horizons 1 as a supplement.

I'd just figure out what program you want to use and then start. In the meantime, you could do math workbooks from Critical Thinking Press if you feel the need. I've heard good things about them.

My 5.5yo finished K math (we used Horizons K) in September so we just went on to 1st grade math. Math also comes easily to him and he wouldn't be happy if we went without math. It's going VERY well so far. He's 1/2 way through Singapore PM 1B and it's still easy for him. We're also doing Horizons 1 as a supplement.

I'd just figure out what program you want to use and then start. In the meantime, you could do math workbooks from Critical Thinking Press if you feel the need. I've heard good things about them.

Is Singapore PM "primary mathematics"? And do you use the textbook or the workbook, or both?? Is Singapore spiral or mastery??

Thanks!

My dd also understands math easily and will complete Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten in January. Because of her young age, I don't want her to begin 1st grade math until closer to 4.5 years old. So we are going onto Horizons math K after EB. It seems faster and more advanced and more like beginning 1st grade material towards the end of the second book. I thought it will be a nice transition to 1st grade math for her. If she likes Horizons, we will continue with Horizons Math 1.

Singapore is mastery and Horizons is spiral.

Edited by MissKNG

In the meantime, you could do math workbooks from Critical Thinking Press if you feel the need. I've heard good things about them.

We also supplement with Critical Thinking Company math books! Right now, she is working in the Level A book (Kindergarten). You may want to look at the Level B book too because I have it and I think dd could comfortably complete the first half of the book now.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:I do not know what is our supplement or what is main program but we also do both. When we were done with Singapore 1a and 1b we just went to Horizons 1. That way it does not seems that he is going too fast and it works for us.

Is Singapore PM "primary mathematics"? And do you use the textbook or the workbook, or both?? Is Singapore spiral or mastery??

Thanks!

Singapore PM is Primary Mathematics. We're using the textbook and the workbook. They are the basics of the program. After that. there are a few supplemental workbooks for each level. We're also using the Challenging Word Problems (CWP). They are out of print now, but I bought them all and am using them as non-consumables.

I do not know what is our supplement or what is main program but we also do both. When we were done with Singapore 1a and 1b we just went to Horizons 1. That way it does not seems that he is going too fast and it works for us.

Funny, we started out with Horizons as our main and Singapore as our supplement, but it got turned around this year. Doesn't really matter as we complete both programs...I'm just using the Singapore methodology even while ds is doing the Horizons books.

I like how Singapore teaches addition and subtractions (obviously we did not get any further yet). While we do Horizons we use the way Singapore tells us to. I even taught my 9 year old "the easy way" (Singapore) to do addition and subtractions, but he got in trouble for this at school. But that's another story...:tongue_smilie:

I like how Singapore teaches addition and subtractions (obviously we did not get any further yet). While we do Horizons we use the way Singapore tells us to. I even taught my 9 year old "the easy way" (Singapore) to do addition and subtractions, but he got in trouble for this at school. But that's another story...:tongue_smilie:

That's exactly what we do. We just got to multiplication, but we're not too far into it.

He got into trouble for getting the right answer a different way? Poor guy. :glare:

To the OP, take a look at MEP math. It's free (download and print off) and has an interesting variety of problems. There are mutiple threads on it here if you search the boards. Both of my boys love using it (one is mathy and the other not-so-mathy). The teacher's notes have fun games there are visuals to download and discuss as well.