Menu

IEW Course Sequence

My ds has completed the following:

• 7th grade - Ancient HBWL
  • 8th grade - SWI B through Co-Op

SWI B will be finished at the end of April. What should he complete next?

If it helps he will be learning Medieval History Spring & Summer, Early American in the Fall, and then US & World History over 2 years.

My ds has completed the following:

• 7th grade - Ancient HBWL

• 8th grade - SWI B through Co-Op

SWI B will be finished at the end of April. What should he complete next?

If it helps he will be learning Medieval History Spring & Summer, Early American in the Fall, and then US & World History over 2 years.

If it were me, I would go right into the SWICC-C if I didn't feel comfortable teaching him.

or

If I didn't mind teaching (which I don't) I would do,

Elegant Essay

Advanced Communication Series and a couple of theme based books and a research report each semester.

I posted the same question over at the IEWFamilies Yahoo Group and Jill Pike recommended the following sequence:

• 9th - The Elegant Essay, Teaching the Classics, and Windows to the World
  • 10th - SICC C or US HBWL Vol. 2
  • 11th - Advanced Communication Series

If I decide to go with SICC C I might stretch it out over 2 years and do the Adv. Comm. in 12th. Not sure yet. I think I would like to include the High School Essay Intensive, if I still think it's necessary, but I'll play it by ear.

Anyone have any opinions or advice?

I posted the same question over at the IEWFamilies Yahoo Group and Jill Pike recommended the following sequence:

If I decide to go with SICC C I might stretch it out over 2 years and do the Adv. Comm. in 12th. Not sure yet. I think I would like to include the High School Essay Intensive, if I still think it's necessary, but I'll play it by ear.

No advice, but a question: Is there a reason to do The Elegant Essay *before* the SICC-C? I'm leaning toward doing the SICC before the Elegant Essay, so I'm just curious.

Thanks!

No advice, but a question: Is there a reason to do The Elegant Essay *before* the SICC-C? I'm leaning toward doing the SICC before the Elegant Essay, so I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Yes, The Elegant Essay gives you the basics before going into the detailed assignments of various essays in the SICC-C. I have read lots of different people advising to do the Elegant Essay 1st. Not to mention IEW recommending this sequence as well!

I just checked my spread sheet, for sequence, it was during some questions we asked Andrew at a conference.

I'll start with 8th;

8th-High School Essay Intensive & Teaching the Classics

9th-Elegant Essay & Teaching the Classics with Worldview supplement

10th-SWICC-C & Excellence in Literature

On an aside, the Author of Excellence in Literature recommends Lighting Literature in the earlier grades:D

11th-Advanced Communication Series & Secrets of Great Communicators

HTH's

I just checked my spread sheet, for sequence, it was during some questions we asked Andrew at a conference.

I'll start with 8th;

8th-High School Essay Intensive & Teaching the Classics

9th-Elegant Essay & Teaching the Classics with Worldview supplement

10th-SWICC-C & Excellence in Literature

On an aside, the Author of Excellence in Literature recommends Lighting Literature in the earlier grades:D

11th-Advanced Communication Series & Secrets of Great Communicators

HTH's

Thank you so much for this! I have a couple of questions though:

• Wouldn't he need to know more about essays through EE before tackling HSEI?

• Is HSEI a class or just something you learn and incorporate across the curriculum?

• What is the Secrets of Great Communicators and how is it difference from Adv. Comm?

We are currently half way through LL8. I have been debating whether to continue with it for high school, move on to Excellence in Lit, or just use TWTM list utilizing what we learned from TTC, WTTW, & Unit 9.

Yes, The Elegant Essay gives you the basics before going into the detailed assignments of various essays in the SICC-C. I have read lots of different people advising to do the Elegant Essay 1st. Not to mention IEW recommending this sequence as well!

Thanks!

I've been scouring their website trying to figure out what the "official" recommendation is without much luck. (other than finding the typical "there is no one right way..." LOL)

Wouldn't he need to know more about essays through EE before tackling HSEI?Actually, the High School Essay Intensive was a 1 day seminar I went to. It would get your child up to speed quickly. It is a SAT Prep type class. The Elegant Essay, is much meatier, more guidance. I believe the question asked had to do with, children taking SAT's earlier because they were advanced in other subject areas. This was suggested for them. The HSI is really to bolster SAT scores. This was from the seminar description:

The High School Essay Intensive class is an excellent way to get immediate experience and inside tips on how to do your best on the timed, 25 minute response to a prompt required on the SAT and/or ACT tests. Participants will actually write two full essays, carefully study and then apply the College Board evaluation criteria to sample essays, while receiving a detailed booklet of resources and lesson plans for continued practice.

Additionally, students will learn special structure and style tools for use in composing the college application "personal essay"—an entirely different type of writing task. The complete process will be presented: choosing the question, creating the outline, and polishing a final version. Participants will leave with a clear concept of the task, their own outline for an actual personal essay, and several new tricks and techniques to add to their repertoire.

Although this seminar is specifically designed for those who will be taking the SAT/ACT or submitting college applications within the next 1-2 years (and especially those teaching such students), it is also useful for general writing practice, tools and tips. It is open to all students, regardless of their experience with IEW courses or materials. A lot of actual writing is done during this six-hour class.

The Elegant Essays gives you bite sized steps to teach essay writing that will apply to all facets during school. It's basically unit 8 of the TWSS stretched out with more direct learning.

Is HSEI a class or just something you learn and incorporate across the curriculum? Yes, you could use it across the curriculum. But I found it to be more of a prep class, not much depth. I want to use it alongside Chalkdust SAT Math, which is why it's scheduled in 8th. My dd will take a placement test for honors courses in HS.

What is the Secrets of Great Communicators and how is it difference from Adv. Comm?

SOGC is Dr. Myers teaching how to be an effective speaker. He has a 100% money back guarantee. SL has a great description.

Advanced Communication is taught by Andrew. He discusses and teaches, not taking, research papers and college paper writing.

I'll add that I found this useful in looking at Window of the World and teaching the Classics, the latter being outlined in Socratic discussions.

Hth's

Edited by Pongo

Wouldn't he need to know more about essays through EE before tackling HSEI?Actually, the High School Essay Intensive was a 1 day seminar I went to. It would get your child up to speed quickly. It is a SAT Prep type class. The Elegant Essay, is much meatier, more guidance. I believe the question asked had to do with, children taking SAT's earlier because they were advanced in other subject areas. This was suggested for them. The HSI is really to bolster SAT scores. This was from the seminar description:

The High School Essay Intensive class is an excellent way to get immediate experience and inside tips on how to do your best on the timed, 25 minute response to a prompt required on the SAT and/or ACT tests. Participants will actually write two full essays, carefully study and then apply the College Board evaluation criteria to sample essays, while receiving a detailed booklet of resources and lesson plans for continued practice.

Additionally, students will learn special structure and style tools for use in composing the college application "personal essay"—an entirely different type of writing task. The complete process will be presented: choosing the question, creating the outline, and polishing a final version. Participants will leave with a clear concept of the task, their own outline for an actual personal essay, and several new tricks and techniques to add to their repertoire.

Although this seminar is specifically designed for those who will be taking the SAT/ACT or submitting college applications within the next 1-2 years (and especially those teaching such students), it is also useful for general writing practice, tools and tips. It is open to all students, regardless of their experience with IEW courses or materials. A lot of actual writing is done during this six-hour class.

The Elegant Essays gives you bite sized steps to teach essay writing that will apply to all facets during school. It's basically unit 8 of the TWSS stretched out with more direct learning.

Is HSEI a class or just something you learn and incorporate across the curriculum? Yes, you could use it across the curriculum. But I found it to be more of a prep class, not much depth. I want to use it alongside Chalkdust SAT Math, which is why it's scheduled in 8th. My dd will take a placement test for honors courses in HS.

What is the Secrets of Great Communicators and how is it difference from Adv. Comm?

SOGC is Dr. Myers teaching how to be an effective speaker. He has a 100% money back guarantee. SL has a great description.

Advanced Communication is taught by Andrew. He discusses and teaches, not taking, research papers and college paper writing.

I'll add that I found this useful in looking at Window of the World and teaching the Classics, the latter being outlined in Socratic discussions.

Hth's

Thank you so much on all the great information!

I think I will wait on HSEI until this summer before 9th or summer before 10th. I don't want to overwhelm him with too much.

I'm going to use Jill Pike's lesson plan that incorporates TTC and EE together and add Windows to the World to it. If I start in May or June I will have plenty of time to get it done.

I love what I read about the Secrets of Great Communicators my only issue is that my ds is an only child how would he get the opportunity to speak publically? Instead I'm thinking about having him join Toastmaster or some type of debate team.

YW! What ages and grades will your kids be when they do this?

My 9th grader is doing Lesson 12 (of 15) in SWI-C this week. It covered decorations. After Christmas, he'll do Unit 8 (and maybe Unit 9???) and we'll be done with the SWI assignments. Of course, I'll keep recycling them - mostly in history - but I'd like to keep going, adding in the things that SWI doesn't cover, and continuing to polish things.

My 6th grader is doing SWI-B this year. He's moving slower through the lessons, and I'm adding in Unit 4 which wasn't included in the SWI. My plan was to stretch the SWI through the whole year, but I bet he will finish about March. I'll cross that bridge when it's a bit closer - LOL!

I wish I had the time and expertise to just apply the TWSS. But, I'm afraid there are so many little things that would slip through the cracks (for example, introducing the "hidden" who/which). Also, my boys *really* like Mr. Pudewa, and I like that they see a male figure who is excited about learning.

Off to spend some money!

I wish I had the time and expertise to just apply the TWSS. But, I'm afraid there are so many little things that would slip through the cracks (for example, introducing the "hidden" who/which). Also, my boys *really* like Mr. Pudewa, and I like that they see a male figure who is excited about learning.

Off to spend some money!

I feel the same way about time and expertise!!! When we tried to watch the TWSS I kept falling asleep and Noah kept laughing, lol. I really want to try it again and that is why I'm leaning toward SICC-C instead of US HBWL Vol. 2.

Here is the final verdict on our course sequence after such great advice from eveyone here and Jill Pike at IEW Families:

8th Grade - SWI B in Co-Op & Powerful Paragraphs

9th Grade - Elegant Essay, Teaching the Classics, & Windows to the World using Jill Pike's lesson plans

10th Grade - SICC C or US HBWL Vol. 2 & High School Essay Intensive

11th Grade - Advanced Communication Series & Secrets of Great Communicators

• 2 months later...