Menu

Anybody here have a TO DIE FOR recipe for Cannoli Cake?

Well if you were in Chicago, I could give you the name of a fabulous bakery that makes a cannoli cake to die for - it's what we had for our wedding cake. I don't have a recipe for you, but I would think you could make a white cake and just use a layer of cannoli filling in between the layers. You could add some strawberries on top of the cannoli filling too, if you wanted. You are making me hungry just thinking about it.

Rich Chocolate Cake With Cannoli Cream Filling

CAKE:

3/4 cup butter

4 eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

4oz melted semisweet or dark chocolate (65% cacao or more)

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup milk

1 cup heavy cream

Directions: Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease bottoms of two 8×8x2-inch square or 9×1-1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of pans. Or, grease one 13×9x2-inch baking pan. Set pan(s) aside.

In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder; and salt; set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined (3 to 4 minutes). Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed just until combined after each addition. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more. Spread batter into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch pans and 13×9x2-inch pan, 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on racks. Or, place 13×9x2-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.

FILLING:

2 Pkgs. (8oz. each) Cream cheese, softened

1 15 oz. carton Ricotta cheese

1 C. Powdered sugar

1 t. Vanilla

1/2 t. Almond extract

1 16 oz jar Maraschino cherries

1 C. Miniature chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and Ricotta until combined. Add powdered sugar and extracts. Drain cherries well, reserving 1 t. cherry juice.
Chop cherries. Stir chopped cherries, chocolate chips and reserved juice into Ricotta mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour until spreadable.

Level layers, fill and stack.

Cake is covered with chocolate ganache—Melted together in double boiler or microwave, 12 ozs chocolate, 2 c heavy cream, cooled and poured on cake.

Makes 12 to 16 servings

I made the one from Sweet Maria's cake cookbook, and it was fine but not "to die for." It was a light, sort of genoise cake with a creamy slightly lemony filling with a few chocolate chips. That previous recipe sounds much nicer and richer -- a thick layer of ganache is hard to beat!, but I'd leave out the maraschino cherries, personally.