Menu

AAS - What to order?

2squared

I am seriously considering ordering this for my oldest two. My 2nd grader is reading very well and ready for spelling. In fact, she's asking for spelling work. :001_smile: My Ker is starting to read, but he is working more on writing with inventive spelling. I'm thinking if I start him out slowly with AAS, I can tap into his excitement.

So, what should I order? I know we'll start with Level 1 for both kids. Do I really need an additional student packet? Do I need duplicates of anything else?

Is this a good idea? It's a pretty big purchase - $70ish. Ouch. Should I wait?

We are also doing WWE and Dictation Day-by-Day.

I guess it depends on how you are going to do your lessons. The student pack is basically a set of flashcards that you break up with dividers into sections. There are sections for cards that are mastered and cards that need to be reviewed. So, you might want to have a set of cards for each child so you know who needs to review what, etc. But you could also figure out a way to track that on your own list or spreadsheet rather than using their filing system if you wanted to work with just one set of cards.

I'm also assuming that your 2nd grader will progress faster, so this might just be a temporary problem and they won't be working off the same level for very long. Then you could just reuse the cards with your K student. :001_smile:

It's a great program! We are 2/3 through level 1 and are loving it, I just ordered level 2. :D

I am using it with my two older boys. They are at different levels (ds#1 is in 3 and ds#2 is in 2), so I ordered one extra set of letter tiles. We used them during the summer when dh was home (he teaches), but now that it's just me and the boys, I only use one set of tiles at a time, so I really didn't need the extra tiles. I have one full set on a big white board. We do spelling together - when one boy is using the tiles, the other is doing dictation sentences on small white boards from previous lessons as review. Then we switch. We don't utilize the cards like we are supposed to. After a lesson is mastered (after I feel they have mastered the rule/spelling), then we move on. After that, I make sure to keep going back a couple lessons for a variety of dictation sentences. We will also take a "review" break from new lessons and respell words from previous lessons for a few days also.

All of that was to say that you might be fine just ordering one set - the book and one student packet. After you use it for a few lessons/few weeks, you will have a better idea of whether you want a separate student packet for each kid, or just a second set of tiles.

My oldest two are 7 (reading well and was asking to do spelling this year too) and 6 (still at the sounding out c-a-t and d-o-g phase). I bought AAS Level One TM, one student packet, and the letter tiles and magnets this year. Now dd7 is on step 19 out of 24 and really enjoying spelling. She wants to do spelling first every day. And dd6 has been working on steps 1-4, which are very easliy combined and can double as a phonics lesson. I got advice to combine the steps from http://www.thechatterbee.com/group/allaboutspellinglevel1. I didn't see the need to buy an additional student packet right now, since I knew that dd6 would move very slowly. I decided I could wait, and not put all the money out at once.

I bought 2 student sets this fall, and now I wish that I would have only used one set and a spread sheet like someone else suggested. It turned out that my younger two weren't ready for it, and my oldest zipped through it very quickly. He will probably be finished with the 2nd book before Christmas.

If you want to teach them together at the same pace, you can use one pack. They would both review everything together. Or, if you want to start the oldest and finish level 1, and then start your youngest, you can probably pass the cards on. The first step of each level has you review all past phonogram, sound, and key cards, so you would need to "borrow" the other cards from a younger sibling to complete that step. Otherwise, once your child has mastered a level, you can pass the cards on.

The cards allow you to customize the review for each child--so they can go over the concepts and words as often or as seldom as they need to master the material. If you have a student who will need a lot of review, it would be harder to pass the cards on. But it sounds like your oldest might be one who catches on quickly.

I hope this helps! Merry :-)