Menu

I'm about to order Teaching the Classics...

Am I correct in assuming that this program, combined with WTM, TWEM, and Reading Strands will help me help my children read better, think better, and analyze better? I have these other resources, but not TTC.

One question though--will TTC be of benefit to my children for reading non-fiction works such as theology, text books, ect?

Thanks so much,

Tracy

A definite yes for fiction. It helped gel it all together for my son. We used the WTM questions, and some WEM questions, but it wasn't until watching Teaching the Classics that he was able to see the whole picture.

It does mainly apply to fiction though. TTC studies plot, conflict, setting etc. Textbooks don't necessarily have these, so it doesn't apply. The skill of learning how to disect a book and find these things will help him became a better reader, but he can't ask the same questions for nonfiction as fiction. The WTM has some excellant questions for nonfiction.

Thanks for the responses. I think my hesitation is that I am really not a literature/fiction fan. I love non-fiction. I love hard non-fiction. But I don't love literature. That said, I keep hearing people I respect talk about how important literature is, and how important analyzing literature is.

I took a lot of lit in college-- a whole class on Shakespeare, etc., because I had to. I probably wasn't taught well, and I haven't yet for myself seen the intrinsic value in it, though I am not disputing that that value is there. I just can't see it for myself. I suppose that is why I wonder if studying literature helps one read and comprehend non-fiction--for me, that is where the meat is, and that is where I want my children to finally end up. Although I have faithfully made sure that they have read stacks and stacks of literature--good literature.

Probably I need to order TTC and equip myself to the best of my ability to guide my children through literature, even though I can't quite see the great value in it, because others much smarter than myself say that it is important.

Am I making any sense at all? You know, I'd rather read a commentary on Leviticus than read literature. I have read one, and it was glorious.;)

Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Tracy

I have TTC and Windows to the World and I much prefer Windows to the World for 8th grade and up. If your kids are younger, TTC might be better.

TTC is just much more simplistic. WttW applies the literary elements to short stories in the best way I've seen yet. But, like I said if yours are under 8th grade, TTC would be the way to go.

I have TTC and Windows to the World and I much prefer Windows to the World for 8th grade and up. If your kids are younger, TTC might be better.

TTC is just much more simplistic. WttW applies the literary elements to short stories in the best way I've seen yet. But, like I said if yours are under 8th grade, TTC would be the way to go.

Michelle, I am mainly buying this for ds 9th grade. ( Dd is in 4th grade, but I am not too concerned at this point to do literary analysis with her. She is a voracious reader, and for now I am mainly just letting her devour books :) )

I've look at WttW seriously since you recommended it, and it does look very good. Perhaps this is where we need to start. I do have a question though. It appears as though this course is mainly on short stories and poems and these are contained within the student book. Is this correct? Would this then replace our current literature reading list? Or is this a supplement to it? I don't want to stop him from reading the literature selections that go along with his history period.

Just wondering how you have used it.

I am having a very hard time making up my mind.

Thank you,

Tracy