Menu

Classical Conversations

MommyX8

I was gifted a set from someone who was no longer homeschooling. She quit teaching a few years ago so her stuff isn't the newest.

But I was thinking about buying an updated guide. Will the CDs still go along with the new guide? How about the flashcards? She never had flashcards so I was going to buy some. Will those match will an old guide?

Gifted a set of what? Audio cds? Memory Work Resource cds?

The new (3rd edition) Foundations Guide isn't dramatically different than the 2nd edition. The memory work is almost entirely the same. The new Foundations Guide has much better prompts and the layout is a HUGE improvement.

If by "cards" you mean the Veritas Press history flashcards, then yes the old Foundations Guide will work with VP cards, as I understand they haven't changed them recently.

I was given all the VP cards (laminated, yeah!) Also all the paperwork and maps for Cycle 1, a couple of tin whistles, the science book, the Latin book, the world/US history books and the 2 CDs.

I am seeing the flashcards for sale on CC but my friend said that they didn't have flashcards when she taught (only for music.) She tossed her foundations guide but another friend bought the updated version and will give me her 2nd edition guide. So I am wondering if as long as the CDs and the guide match if it is OK. Or even for sanity sake, if I bought a new guide if I could still use the last edition CDs.

That is wonderful - the VP cards are the best part of the memory work, imho. Also, imho, the flash cards were pricey - you might do just as well to make your own or have your kids make their own (depending on their age). The cds are nice to have in the car. In my experience we use the cds much more than the flash cards, but we don't do as much review at home as most people.

I think the old guide would be fine with the possible exception of changes to Latin in Cycle 3 (also depends on when/where you buy your CD. I could be wrong but I don't think CC keeps selling CDs for off years?)

I wouldn't purchase a new guide.... I would keep the old one... just get revisions to add to the guide... And take a white out tape thing and make revisions. It will take you a maximum of 1 hr to make all the revisions. Also, if you have $$$ to spend, I'd purchase one cd each year... to make it the updated info.. which will match what you have... because you'll update your Foundations Guide....

Carrie:-)