Menu

Why I left MFW for TOG

Lately there has been a lot of talk about MFW vrs. TOG and I was even emailed about it so I thought I would post my blog in case anyone wants to read my review of MFW a few years ago and my current thoughts. You can find my MFW review pretty easily on the blog.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MichelleMyBell/

Hope it helps someone,

Michelle

Is that a pic of your dds on your blog? The first one, I mean. I LOVE the pic!! We have lots of Minnonite families around here that we are friends with. One family has a pic much like that of all 4 dds and I always admire it!!

I like your reasons for changing to TOG (even if I am not a TOG girl myself! Hehe) I have a friend that says, concerning crafts activities, that she doesn't want the Eiffel Tower in her living room! :lol: Then you have those, like youself ,that want the real skill building crafts. Personally I like paper crafts with a few Eiffel Towers in the mesh. :)

You also mentioned that there were weeks when no history was scheduled in. I have heard this echoed by others concerning science on other levels. This would be a thorn in my side as well.

I, too, prefer the more living and less textbook, CM approach! You have brought up the concerns that made me change my mine about MFW and lean toward HOD.

LOVE your blog and your school room is to die for!!!

My 7th grader didn't feel like it was heavy enough for her even though the year plan we were using included 7th grade (CtG).

Then last week, we were doing some test prep stuff for the IOWA with my 5th grader. She didn't recognize anything on the science section. Even though we switched the history and literature parts to TOG, we had stayed with MFW science, music and art. The science was just too light for my 5th grader with dh's expectations.

I still plan to stay with MFW music and art. I have the art book, why not. I'll have to buy the cd's and plan them but how hard is it to schedule 2-3 songs off a cd in a week? I will change the science. I'm letting my 5th grader choose which Apologia book(s) to do since it will be her last year. I think she said Botany. So it may be Botany and Astronomy next year. Then ds will do the Zoology books. Maybe find an anatomy book down the road...

The reasons you mentioned leaving MFW are the same reasons we have. I couldn't even finish out the year with Adventures. We've gone back to doing our own thing. I'm hung up by the cost of TOG. I'm afraid I will chafe and just wind up doing my own thing again.

Yes, those are my daughters at the top of the page. We are not Amish or Mennonite, but we do love the simplicity of that lifestyle. I would be willing to join their church if we didn't have doctrinal differences. Also my husband is a pastor, so that is a problem too! :tongue_smilie:

I was going to say that someone said the cost of TOG was a factor in their not using it. So far I have found TOG to be cost effective for us. I only bought TOG and 1 book. The rest I have been able to find at our library. That is what really makes it work well for us. I actually enjoy doing it this way. I am keeping track of the books that really stand out as worth owning. That way I can keep an eye out at used book sales, garage sales etc... and pick them up for my other kids in years to come.

God Bless,

Michelle