Menu

S/O Are there books you don't read aloud but save for independent reading

ktmo

My DD is beginning to enjoy longer read-alouds. We have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, My Father's Dragon, and are reading Little House in the Big Woods. These are great books. My questions is: Do I "save" some books for her to read independently or will she want to reread these books later? I don't want to read all the great books to her (not like we will read them ALL) and then find out she doesn't want to read them on her own. Or does it matter if I read them to her or she reads them independently, as long as I expose her to great books?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer on this......we still read a lot of books aloud....and some of them the kids have read by themselves, for that matter a few WE have read aloud before. A truly wonderful book can be read repeatedly and still be enjoyed.

Personally, I think the most important aspect for you to concentrate on is the bonding that happens during reading aloud. It is something that I cherish and am so profoundly grateful that this and other boards promoted when my now-teen was still a toddler. I worried for many years that when my children got older they wouldn't want to do read alouds any more....and while our read aloud time is definitely shorter, it is still important to our family. As they got older and could read on their own they spend more time reading alone, but have not requested to stop read together time. Our read aloud time has definitely changed over the years.....in the beginning of course it was all me talking with them looking at pictures in the books that had them, and sometimes coloring or building legos while I read. As they became readers themselves we'd take turns.....started out with I'll read this page you read the next then me again.....eventually went to paragraphs and then to the child(ren) doing almost all the reading. This evolution was welcomed by me because I was not always fond of talking that much (hard to imagine as much as as I type, eh?). But switching page by page definitely made the read aloud less intimidating for the new reader!

There are many times over more books than I could ever read aloud to my children......so even if your child is one of those that don't re-read books you will never need to worry about using up all the good ones! I would suggest that you read aloud as much as possible....the benefits outweigh the dry throat beyond measure.

For what it's worth, I keep a running list of books suggested on forums like this or that I come across in the library or an online bookstore, etc that look interesting but maybe we aren't ready for.....because I know I'll never remember them otherwise. It started as just a list of books but now is divided into age/subject etc to make it easier to choose the next book. The kids know they can check out of the library anything on the list without my having to peruse it first, so they're more apt to go for my list than to pick up some mind-candy or inappropriate book. This is more important lately since the libraries seem to be promoting books that I'd rather we avoid by personal choice.....yet it's hard when the library has them in provocative displays and no alternatives similiarly displayed.

Enoy this time with your children! THe memories are priceless for both you and the children. It brings tears to my eyes to hear my teen talk lovingly about reading aloud this or that book years ago....at a time when I worry every day that I'm going to wake up and finally find that dreadful teenager that everyone warns me about (so far she hasn't arrived...fingers crossed daily!).

I don't think I could have said it better than the PP. The most important thing to do is to create an enjoyment for time spent reading together.

I used to think that it mattered which book I would read aloud, that they would not read it on their own later, that it would be too soon or too late. I found that there really is no hard and fast rule. Some books we read aloud and one ds will read it again while the other ds never looks at it again. Other books I am glad we read aloud because they would never choose to read it independently.

Movies are interesting for us, too. Ds 9 will not read a book if he has seen the movie. In his case I will make sure he reads the book first. Ds 10 on the other hand gets inspired to read the book through watching movies. He watches the movie first and then reads.

I guess, I am rambling now. All this to say that you will find what works best over time. Cherish the reading time, no matter what.

Susie

I do purposely save some, especially for my daughter. I have really great childhood memories of immersing myself in book from ages 10-12 especially. Two examples I can think of right off are Island of the Blue Dolphins and Little Women. I wanted her to have the pleasure of opening up those pages and make those discoveries for herself.