Menu

Netbooks...Opinions please

My laptop is a nearly 4 year old "desktop replacement." It only has .5 g memory, so by now it is getting really slow, and the battery only holds a charge for about 45 minutes. It has been a complete trouble free computer, however.

I am thinking about getting the memory upgraded and using this computer as a desktop and getting a netbook to carry around. I need a laptop for my work and to allow me to be online in the house somewhere other than my desk.

So, I am looking for opinions about netbooks. They are pretty cheap and very portable. Or, would I be better off scraping my current laptop and getting a new laptop.

Love mine ... my husband got me an MSi Wind last year for Christmas. I almost never use my desktop anymore. I thought I'd dislike the smaller screen, but I don't. My big concern was the keypad (the period and comma are smaller keys than the others) but I got used to it very quickly.

It travels easily. It is great on the couch. I did get the extended battery and a new better electrical cord. I don't use mine for outside work, and we didn't pay to unlock the MS Office so I've been using Google Docs (easy to pull up on my desktop if necessary) for school planning, etc.

One of the biggest drawbacks to a netbook and why we decided to go with another laptop is the lack of a dvd/cd drive. In order for the kids to watch school videos or movies on it, we'd have to buy an external dvd drive. Most come with a 3 cell battery, which means about 2-3 hours of battery life at it's beginning. For longer battery life you have to upgrade to a 6 cell. I use mine at home mostly so weight wasn't an issue with me, but I do like a bit larger screen. By the time I figured in the other things I'd want or need with it I decided to go with a plain ol' laptop again.

Now my dh, on the other hand uses a netbook. He has larger hands and the keyboard is a bit small, but not too bad. He is on the road all day using it in his vehicle, so it is the best and most portable, lightest weight option for him. He has an Asus with a 6 cell battery and the 10 inch screen.

There are some great deals on both laptops and netbooks coming this weekend. Good luck deciding.

We have 2. We love them. We have an external DVD drive that we could use for CD-Roms, but we've used it once just to see if it worked. My husband's has a 6-cell and daughter has a 3 cell. I'd get a 6 if you plan on using it out side the house a lot, but for couch surfing a 3 would suffice. DH has no problems with the keyboard.

I'm getting a Linux netbook after Christmas dies down and I'm more excited than I should be. So many good deals right now, too. We don't have a Dell, but they have a refurb section where I've seen them as low as $169. I see them on Slickdeals several times a week.

Thanks, Ladies! Since I can't remember the last time I used my dvd/cd drive, I guess not having one would not be a problem. I feel like I should wait until after Christmas to get it, but now that I have it in my head, I want it now. Office Depot has memory on sale tomorrow, so I will definitely get that done. Sam's has a netbook for $199 tomorrow....we'll see what I do! :auto:

Thanks, Ladies! Since I can't remember the last time I used my dvd/cd drive, I guess not having one would not be a problem. I feel like I should wait until after Christmas to get it, but now that I have it in my head, I want it now. Office Depot has memory on sale tomorrow, so I will definitely get that done. Sam's has a netbook for $199 tomorrow....we'll see what I do! :auto:

I have one - got it for work because I had to have a windows/internet explorer machine for my online classroom and we are 100% Mac people. It is very portable, but the screen is small, which I *really* dislike. The CD drive wouldn't seem to be a problem, but when you first get a computer it's a terrible convenient way to add new programs! So basically, if it's not downloadable, you can't add it.

Personally, I find myself using it ONLY for the things I *have* to have windows for - otherwise I'd much rather be on an older laptop. My vote is get the old one refurbished.