Menu

How hard would this be?

To hang a giant three-panelled wall mural (map of the world) like this:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/maps/wall-maps/world-maps/world-political-mural-map

The description says that "Three durable latex-coated panels are hung like wallpaper. Directions included." (I'm guessing poster tape is not recommended) I have never put up wallpaper, and have no idea what common pitfalls may be. Ex: How long do you have to readjust wall paper after you've slapped it up there?

I have minimal experience with wallpaper, but the two times I hung it it was not so difficult. I'm sure the panels have adhesive on the back that needs to be soaked in water. You have enough time to adjust it before it dries. I think it's very doable, even for someone with no wallpaper experience. In fact, I probably have more trouble trying to hang a large paper wall map, lol. I always end up ripping them or having to readjust them a hundred times and they end up with tons of holes in the corner from the pins.

I REALLY like the map you're thinking about. I wish I had a whole wall free, then I might consider it.

I say go for it!! Let us know your experience when it's done:001_smile:.

Blessings,

Lisa

You can do it. Getting the first panel straight will be the most important thing. Once that's done, lining the others up will be a cinch.:) I don't mind hanging wallpaper. You'll be able to "slide" it to adjust it for a couple of minutes at least after you get it up there. Make sure you have whatever tools they recommend to smooth out the wrinkles.

My DS saw your link and said, "Wow. How tall of a wall do you need for

that?" Our school room is in our 3rd story, so our walls are slanted. He'd love it if I could find a spot for it, though!

Good luck! Post a pic when you're done!

I was hanging wall paper border last year along the 'chair rail' height, and using a small, inexpensive laser level was a tremendous help! I got it at Lowe's for around $10.00, and once I decided where the paper should start, I laid the level (it hung there with it's suction cup,) at that height and it shone a beam of orange light along the wall. Then I went along that line of light and traced it with a pencil. A great little tool for hanging things in a straight line.

If I were going to do it, I'd wallpaper it onto a large piece of paneling from Lowe's/Home Depot. Then I'd put it behind glass/plexiglass in a frame it and hang it on the wall that way. Just incase I ever wanted to be able to move it and to protect it from little hands.

I don't have any experience hanging wallpaper, but I figured I'd pass that idea on. :)

My DS saw your link and said, "Wow. How tall of a wall do you need for

that?" Our school room is in our 3rd story, so our walls are slanted. He'd love it if I could find a spot for it, though!

I think it is 110'' x 76'', so it's a bit bigger than 9' across and 6' high. The earthen colored version of it dropped price A LOT on amazon. It is usually no less than $85 + shipping anywhere. (yep, I've coveted it for a long time) Anyway, I am really hoping I can develop the skills to hang it.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Executive-Wall-Map-Mural/dp/0792230345/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259195152&sr=8-1

If I were going to do it, I'd wallpaper it onto a large piece of paneling from Lowe's/Home Depot. Then I'd put it behind glass/plexiglass in a frame it and hang it on the wall that way. Just in case I ever wanted to be able to move it and to protect it from little hands

This is a good idea. I was going to put it on place that is a bit formal, but then I never thought of then asking "How do you remove wallpaper?" Aaaccck! I wonder if Lowes or HD would have a 9' x 6' piece of anything other than floor rug to laminate it to.