Menu

If you come from a very close knit family, did you family have difficulty accepting

new family members?

Someone close to me is experiencing distance from the family she recently married into. The family expects everyone in the family to get together during holidays or special events, even adult children. in other words, they would rather people show up unhappy to be there than not show up at all. Other spouses that married into this family are definitely held at a distance.

Do you think very, very close families have difficulties accepting new family members?

Do you think very, very close families have difficulties accepting new family members?

No! Very very disfunctional families may have difficulties accepting new family members. Dependent on each other is not the same as close in a mature way. Enmeshed with each other isn't either. My son is 22 and in a 2 1/2 year relationship. We ALL accept his girlfriend as another sister. And we are VERY close - but in a mature, healthy way. :001_smile:

I think it could appear that way. My family is very close, we're all pretty protective of one another. One xsil thought we were excluding her, we TRIED to include her, but she (for some crazy reason) wanted to drag my brother halfway across the country. Present sil (and ever constant bil, as well as dh) have incorporated all our families together. Now all four families are joined at the hip and (for the most part) we all get together for the holidays. I have no problem loving my brother's and sister's mils and fil as much as the rest of the family :p

My mom experienced a bit of this when she married my dad. My dad's family was more than a bit dubious about her at first (mostly due to the fact that she belongs to a different denomination and was not the slightest bit interested in converting) but eventually she became one of the favorite in-laws. :)