Menu

Another MCT Question.....Picking and Choosing....

MariannNOVA

I am intrigued by MCT -- I have read various segments of their website, and I have looked at the sample pages.

My question: DD10 has been writing a-la-IEW for three years now. She writes beautifully and effortlessly. This year, we are doing IEW Medieval Theme-Based Writing, and again, she is doing wonderfully.

What are your thoughts on using MCT for everything for DD10 but sticking with the IEW for writing......OR.......would it be overkill if we continued to do IEW for medieval theme-based writing and added in MCT for her level whic h is essays. :confused:

I definitely want to jump to MCT for the grammar and writing for the twins (third grade) -- they are using CW Aesop, and we will continue to use that and do the MCT entire program as well for them.

Mariann, I use IEW Ancients, grudgingly, with MCT Essay Voyage. The longer I work with MCT, the better I get at translating the essay assignment into something that corresponds to work in another subject. I allow Swimmer Dude to take IEW over the top-too many alliterations, decorations, MCT vocabulary words, etc. It becomes a game. We use IEW for exploring. I require MCT work to be more academic and less formula-based. He enjoys the contrast. Analyzing the paragraphs from Montaigne's essay, "Of the Education of Children" or Emerson's essay, "Nature", has certainly stretched Swimmer Dude's limits.:D I will switch our writing to MCT and LL for the second half of the year.

Edited by swimmermom3
Grammar

So, just to be clear, you do need to add a writing program to MCT? And most people would recommend IEW as a good fit to go along with it?

I don't think you *need* a second writing program to go with MCT - I think it's just different enough that people first starting it are reluctant to give up the security of what they were used to, in case it's not "enough".

When I was first asking about this program, I got a lot of feedback that IEW might clash with MCT - IEW adds all those dress-ups; MCT doesn't want you being unnecessarily wordy. Now that many more people here are using it, though, I see it's not an unpopular combo anyway. I may mix it with IEW Ancient History Lessons later this year - but that was all of $25. Or I may skip it and head right into Voyage and just assign their essays from their history, lit or science.

I don't think you *need* a second writing program to go with MCT - I think it's just different enough that people first starting it are reluctant to give up the security of what they were used to, in case it's not "enough".

When I was first asking about this program, I got a lot of feedback that IEW might clash with MCT - IEW adds all those dress-ups; MCT doesn't want you being unnecessarily wordy. Now that many more people here are using it, though, I see it's not an unpopular combo anyway. I may mix it with IEW Ancient History Lessons later this year - but that was all of $25. Or I may skip it and head right into Voyage and just assign their essays from their history, lit or science.

Right -- That was my understanding: MCT has a writing component. I knew that. :) I was trying NOT to fix something that wasn't broken: DD10 doing SO well with IEW, but I wanted to be certain that doing IEW and MCT would not be overkill.

:seeya:and I appreciate what Lisa wrote: Mariann, I use IEW Ancients, grudgingly, with MCT Essay Voyage. The longer I work with MCT, the better I get at translating the essay assignment into something that corresponds to work in another subject. I allow Swimmer Dude to take IEW over the top-too many alliterations, decorations, MCT vocabulary words, etc. It becomes a game. We use IEW for exploring. I require MCT work to be more academic and less formula-based. He enjoys the contrast. Analyzing the paragraphs from Montaigne's essay, "Of the Education of Children" or Emerson's essay, "Nature", has certainly stretched Swimmer Dude's limits.:D

Thanks for the information!

I don't think it will be overkill. I do think that if you use all the components of MCT and add in the writing, you may eventually be less enamored with IEW.

I used IEW because I didn't feel comfortable coming up with my own program and I was already making myself crazy with history. I have bought, sold, and repurchased IEW history-based writing because, well, I am lazy when it comes to thinking of "themes". Ridiculous, I know. It has taken me a while but slowly my WTM/MCT/The Writer's Jungle/LL program is evolving and I am pleased...today.:D

Added: I forgot to agree with matroyshka that the reason most of us use another program is lack of confidence. I am going out on a limb here but personally, MCT makes IEW in some ways, look like a shabby cousin.

Edited by swimmermom3

Right -- That was my understanding: MCT has a writing component. I knew that. :) I was trying NOT to fix something that wasn't broken: DD10 doing SO well with IEW, but I wanted to be certain that doing IEW and MCT would not be overkill.

Oh, I was just responding to Amy's sounding perturbed that she'd have to add another whole pricey writing component - I know you knew it was optional. :) As I said, I may just toss in some IEW later this year myself...

Oh, I really didn't do a good job of explaining that I don't think you really need another writing program besides MCT. I use TWTM to help me adapt the MCT essays to other subjects. I use The Writer's Jungle for copy work, dictation, and fun things like movie reviews, free writes, Tea Time. Lightning Lit is a family favorite I found before MCT and we use it for literary analysis and additional writing.

I should have had some coffee this afternoon.

Oh, I was just responding to Amy's sounding perturbed that she'd have to add another whole pricey writing component - I know you knew it was optional. :) As I said, I may just toss in some IEW later this year myself...

Oh, yeah -- I knew that too -- (I'm a know it all today) ;) -- but I wanted you to know that I appreciated what you write. Thanks! I've appreciated the info you've shared on the MCT threads that I've searched.

LISA wrote: 'you may eventually be less enamored with IEW.' Gee, Lisa, trust me, that would be difficult. :glare::lol:

LISA wrote: "I am going out on a limb here but personally, MCT makes IEW in some ways, look like a shabby cousin." My fingers are crossed.

I want to add what the folks at RFWP have told me. MCT materials don't just have a writing component -- writing is the whole point of the program. Grammar, vocabulary, poetics are the background components for advanced academic writing.

I want to add what the folks at RFWP have told me. MCT materials don't just have a writing component -- writing is the whole point of the program. Grammar, vocabulary, poetics are the background components for advanced academic writing.

It really is a beautiful program. To fully get the MCT approach it took sitting down with a level and reading through each component cover to cover, then I saw how everything is woven and works together.

Thank you so much! You have both confirmed what I suspected, and I am quite pleased....well, actually, more than quite pleased...:party: Thanks for the info -- between researching the threads and asking here, I have learned what I need to move forward. Thanks again!:)

IEW and MCT have different approaches to writing. IEW is structure and style. MCT is word choice and placement.

Often people get the MCT materials, flip to the writing prompts and say "I don't know that I could even do this assignment, it's so open ended." However, keep in mind that even though it's the first assignment in that level, examples have been shown to and discussed with the child up to that point using the grammar book in a very methodical way and the two of you have worked together making sentences and completing stories.

MCT is such a different approach, many consider IEW their security blanket.

I would pick one to be your main program, then weave the concepts that you like from the other program into that one if it makes you feel more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

That's the direction in which I am leaning (see in red). I am not a fan of IEW, but DD10 began using it in private school in third grade and she is totally comfortable with it. I am not ecstatic about IEW's 'plug in a word' approach, but I do have to say, DD has no fear or apprehension about writing. She does it effortlessly. I guess that my objective is for her to move into MCT and bring with her the ease and self-assuredness that she has developed from using IEW. The twins (9 yrs old) are the same -- they began using IEW in priv school and we are using CW Aesop. They also write effortlessly and quite well. I would like to have them bring their ease of writing into the MCT program.

Thanks again -- you've been a help!!!! A big help!!!!:)