Menu

So ... new Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Biology users ...

Trixie

Yes, there's a decent amount of science, and it is presented in an engaging manner. This isn't a comprehensive science course, but Schmidt writes with with unabashed enthusiasm. Genetics receives the closest attention (though does not make up the bulk of the book). The explanations of gene, allele, locus, etc. are careful and clear, as are the distinctions between genotype and phenotype. For some reason, meiosis isn't properly explained, but other than this the material flows well. I particularly enjoyed the section on stoichiometry. The math is mostly review, occasionally with a new spin. There's some pre-algebra material -- mostly along the lines of solving for x -- and more on negative numbers. Still no prime factors, but perhaps that will come.

As always, the problem sets are carefully thought out. There's one major departure from Schmidt's other books: the Final Bridge contains not only biology questions, but also the occasional grammar or word usage question. The student cannot pass this bridge on math alone.

Edited by nmoira
clarity

Yes, there's a decent amount of science, and it is presented in an engaging manner. This isn't a comprehensive science course, but Schmidt writes with with unabashed enthusiasm. Genetics receives the closest attention (though does not make up the bulk of the book). The explanations of gene, allele, locus, etc. are careful and clear, as are the distinctions between genotype and phenotype. For some reason, meiosis isn't properly explained, but other than this the material flows well. I particularly enjoyed the section on stoichiometry. The math is mostly review, occasionally with a new spin. There's some pre-algebra material -- mostly along the lines of solving for x -- and more on negative numbers. Still no prime factors, but perhaps that will come.

As always, the problem sets are carefully thought out. There's one major departure from Schmidt's other books: the Final Bridge contains not only biology questions, but also the occasional grammar or word usage question. The student cannot pass this bridge on math alone.

Thank you, thank you! That's exactly what I was wondering. I actually like that the bridge isn't passed on math alone since it's the "Fred" and "biology" parts that I want the book for.

Ds will be thrilled. :001_smile:

Oh, and is there no Home Companion for this book?

Oh, and is there no Home Companion for this book?
There's no companion book. Like Fractions and Decimals & Percents, answers and solutions for the Your Turn to Play sections immediately follow, and the solutions for the Bridges are in the back.