Menu

Warning, MCT raves inside.

rafiki

I've read this thread and searched MCT in others. I've poured over the website for a few days and have read every word. I am thinking that MCT may be the 'missing piece' in my curriculum -- I just need to think out loud here (relatively speaking) -- You can just skip to The sentence in RED and ignore my thinking out loud prattle.

We do Singapore Math, and DD10 does Saxon 7/6 and LoF. Our Latin choices are fine. Twins (9 yrs old - 3rd grade) are doing CW Aesop and they love it BUT I think it is not presenting a challenge to them as they are zipping through it (a good thing) and their work in it is excellent, but I don't see them being challenged. We are weak in grammar instruction....just because. Their grammar skills are excellent and perhaps that is why we don't spend alot of time on it.

DD10 is doing IEW Medieval Theme based writing and, I am not thrilled with it. My concern is that she is capable of doing more (she is an excellent, effortless writer) and I am wondering about MCT for her.

If you are still with me, I read through the MCT website again last night...I liked the fact that it seems to start with one book and build incrementally with the others added in at prescribed times. Is this correct?

I am more than able to teach grammar - it happens to be one of my strong points - and I hate being all over the place with grammar and writing. MCT looks as if it will provide the thread that will keep everything tied together...is this correct?

TIA

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I hate being all over the place with grammar and writing. MCT looks as if it will provide the thread that will keep everything tied together...is this correct?

THis is exactly why I decided to buy the program. Jury is still out as I only just received Island last week. I do plan to continue using CW, but so far it looks like it will complement it well.

My husband and I were discussing this week about how if one cannot use language well, then one cannot think well. This was sparked by a conversation we overheard while standing in a grocery line.

I've been thinking about this subject so much the last couple of days that I was dreaming about these MCT texts I just received. :001_huh:

THis is exactly why I decided to buy the program. Jury is still out as I only just received Island last week. I do plan to continue using CW, but so far it looks like it will complement it well.

My husband and I were discussing this week about how if one cannot use language well, then one cannot think well. This was sparked by a conversation we overheard while standing in a grocery line.

I've been thinking about this subject so much the last couple of days that I was dreaming about these MCT texts I just received. :001_huh:

:w00t: OMH! Sort of me, too! I have been lying awake going through the paces and thinking about what I have read about MCT, and it does seem like it is what we are missing. I taught in a small private Christian school last year -- the Principal was FABULOUS...it was her first year there! I had 5 students in 4th grade and the school used all ABEKA. I took the LA program and taught it as literature-based, writing-intensive, and my 5 students scored post-high-school on their Stanford tests. Prior to walking into my classroom, none of them had ever read a chapter book. I am a firm believer that LA is really ONE subject (for lack of a better word).

thank you for sharing -- I really appreciate it. :)

If you are still with me, I read through the MCT website again last night...I liked the fact that it seems to start with one book and build incrementally with the others added in at prescribed times. Is this correct?

I am more than able to teach grammar - it happens to be one of my strong points - and I hate being all over the place with grammar and writing. MCT looks as if it will provide the thread that will keep everything tied together...is this correct?

TIA

Yes, you probably describe how the program is "supposed" to work. However, I think a lot of us use different pieces, different levels, and different sequences.

When I think about it, though, it really all still comes together. The emphasis on enthusiastically raising up to a higher level of thinking, speaking, writing, and reading is always there.

Julie