Menu

What is the purpose of pre-school screening?

Bee

Oldest dd observed a young child being screened for pre-school and asked me why they do it. I'm not sure why but I'm guessing it has something to do with funds the program receives. Do pre-schools, like public schools, receive extra funds for children who need special services?

I don't know about other areas, but around here kids either have to be low income or the child has to be special needs in order to qualify for public preschool. All kids who are thought to be special needs go through a screening process. So basically if you pass you can't go to preschool lol.

It is a joke here. My son was not talking at 3, but he was able to 'make sounds' so he did not qualify. I ended up helping him, but it would have been easier on him to have someone with some degree of knowledge of speech therapy to help us through it.

DS #1 went to preschool at a private, Classical school. They screened all the preschoolers at the end of the school year. They had to meet certain qualifications to be considered ready for K. . .Not that they would be turned away if they didn't, but in that case, the teacher would have recommended to the parents to consider holding them back a year or working w/ the child over the summer.

The purpose is probably to identify children with disabilities. It is a part of special education legislation, child-find programs to identify young children so that interventions and services can be put into place earlier rather than later for those children who need it. With many disabilities, the earlier the interventions are put into place the better the long-term outlook for the child.

Though there is funding for early intervention programs, preschools don't screen children so that they can get extra money. It is often quite costly to provide services and equipment for children with special needs.

Cat

We have public school pre K. The kids are eligible by lottery NOT income. I thought they were screening to judge skills to kinda even out the classes?

Plus I do believe it was for early intervention for speech ect... ???

My dd goes to this program because it is free, and she needed a little more "guidance" socially than my DS.

She will return home next fall to homeschool with her brother.

Here, because of the limited space, they only take kids that "need" pre-K in order to be ready for K. Older ds got in, because he decided to play puppy instead of letting them screen him :p I guess they figured a little boy that hides under the table and growls at people needed better social skills before he could handle Kindergarten.