Menu

is it normally for people, when the find out your kids has a mental illness

:grouphug:

I have no idea if it's normal. I would expect for it to be somewhat normal, as it's sometimes difficult with any "tragedy" or unexpected turn that others are experiencing... where you just don't know what to say.

If it's kinda scary to others what your daughter has to deal with now... maybe they just don't know how to deal...

Sorry!!

Carrie

My husband has very difficult medical problems which restrict his mobility and make it difficult for him to be in any kind of crowd like church, award ceremony, etc., so the reality is that he mostly goes to work and stays home. We've almost lost him a good 1/2 dozen times, and my internist has repeatedly indicated that he's amazed that the dear man is even alive.

And the friends have dropped like flies. It's too hard to deal with a woman who functions like a single parent and yet is not, and too hard to encourage someone in a situation with no known hope. Of course a few do, but I know who truly is watching out for us and who doesn't!

It used to bug me more, but now I expect it :).

It could be more than "stigma," though really. Mental illness is hard to deal with... even for those who don't have to live with it. It affects behavior, decision-making, choices... Please don't be upset with those who don't know how to respond. Also consider that some people may be feeling the need to protect their own children from a negative situation (which is understandably NOT your dd's fault as she is sick and needs/is getting help).

I grew up with several family members who have mental illness. If one of my child's friends was diagnosed with a mental illness and was not stable I would keep my distance. This would not be meant to offend, but I've been hurt and I don't want my children to experience anything like what I did.

You might talk to the other parents about what they're feeling or expecting.