Menu

Painting kitchen cabinets question

I have standard, builder-grade, 20-year old oak kitchen cabinets. We just don't have the $$ to put in brand new ones (I'm blessed with *lots* of cabinets), so my interim plan is to paint the ones I have. I have always enjoyed and like folk-sy, cottage-y, country decor. My walls are painted "clam chowder" yellow -- buttery in color; I've got white trim.

What I want to do is paint the base cabinets a dark color (something sage ish, but deeper in hue) and the cabinets a lighter, white (but probably not full-on white, probably one of the 5 gazillion off-white colors). My reasoning for this is singular:

I have three boys.

Over the years, I've learned that white trim and woodwork looks nice, until you add in boys, because inevitably dirt follows them.

Will this look bad? I've googled "painted kitchen cabinets" and found lots of beautiful cabinets painted -- white. Or, they are painted a color, but the top and bottoms are the same paint. Or, they are painted black; which looks great, but is too modern for what I want.

I'm planning on getting new countertops to match the overall country decor (the color palate is basically the shades used in the Longerberger dishware). There is a wallpaper border (I know, so 1990s, but I love it) that unifies all the colors.

So, what think you re-decorating on a budget people?

I have done our exact same cabinets as yours. My husband is a cabinetmaker, but just hasn't gotten to making new ones for the kitchen yet. He did the bathrooms, but I painted those too cuz they were a mess a long time ago. I also did my moms kitchen. Anyway, i have three boys too. I went with Polar Bear white from Behr in satin. They do get dirty, but not terribly so. I wipe them down with wipes once a week when I clean the kitchen. I guess I figure that everything else would get just as dirty, but at least I can see this and it forces me to clean them.

Every summer I do re-paint them lightly or just touch up. So far, they haven't gotten gunky looking from all the painting. We are looking to have new ones in the next year or so cuz they are also falling!! They are 28 years old!

FYI, also...all we did was prime them and then paint. That's it!! It's very simple, but very, very, very much better!!! Get some nice knobs or handles and they'll look great!!!

Good luck!

I think your ideas sound lovely. I do have friends who painted their kitchen cabinets gray-blue, and it looked fabulous. I think it's fine to be brave with color, especially for a country kitchen.

For the color combination, why not get some big cardboard or drywall bit or something like that and paint the two colors you like on two large pieces. Then prop them up in your kitchen over the top and bottom cabinets and just live with them there for a week. It won't be exactly like painted cabinets but will give you the general idea.

I think your idea of having both colors could look really cool.

Some further thoughts . . .

Here is a blog that shows some painted cabinets. They are painted black, but what I thought you might be interested in is the embellishments they added. Underneath are simple wooden shelf brackets that make the cabinets look sooooo charming, and above the cabinets they added some wood trim. Both additions really added to the country cottage look, and would work well in any color IMHO.

http://www.theletteredcottage.net/2009/03/kitchen-update-march-2009.html

Also I have had fabulous luck painting wooden furniture with a super-smooth mini sponge roller. For a TV cabinet with doors I first scuffed lightly with sanding paper and wiped down. Then primer, then semi-gloss paint. For the painting, I first painted the edges and the nooks and crannies with a brush, then went over all right away with the sponge roller. This way there were no brush marks--the finish is very smooth and professional.

• 2 weeks later...