Menu

Homeschooling/ Living Overseas

Dh may have the opportunity to finish his dissertation overseas (Denmark, specifically). Neither of us has ever lived overseas, so I don't even have a clue as to where to start looking for information about moving overseas. I am sure that the university will be of some help, but their help wouldn't come until after a definite "yes," but my need to be prepared won't let me wait that long. ;)

The first questions that popped into my head were:

1. Do we follow Denmark's homeschooling regs or our US state of residency? If we decide to enroll the kids in a school there, how does that work?

2. How is healthcare handled overseas? Do we use our insurance here (we pay for private ins.) or do we use their system?

3. What do we do with all of our stuff? Much of it we would sell, but what about books and heirloom furniture?

4. What about money? Do we keep a US bank or do we open an overseas account?

5. How do taxes work? I am assuming we pay taxes to both countries.

6. Will our computers work over there or will we need new ones? I am assuming we will at least need plug adapters, but we will need to replace our laptops soon anyway, so we might as well replace them with new ones we can take with us if we can.

I know there are tons of things I'm not even thinking of (or questions are racing through my mind so fast that I can't even pin them down long enough to consider them :D). Where do I even start finding answers to these questions? I need some btdt advice and encouragement. One minute, I am so excited and the next I am terrified.

Thanks.

Dh may have the opportunity to finish his dissertation overseas (Denmark, specifically). Neither of us has ever lived overseas, so I don't even have a clue as to where to start looking for information about moving overseas. I am sure that the university will be of come help, but their help wouldn't come until after a definite "yes," but my need to be prepared won't let me wait that long. ;)

The first questions that popped into my head were:

1. Do we follow Denmark's homeschooling regs or our US state of residency? If we decide to enroll the kids in a school there, how does that work?

Unless you are (or your hubby is) working for the US government in a capacity that falls under the Status of Forces Agreement you must follow the laws of the given country. Denmark is one of the countries where you can homeschool, it's not illegal. There will be international schools in most areas (mostly for expats) as well as the local public schools. I'm not sure how it works in Denmark, compared to where we lived in Germany.

2. How is healthcare handled overseas? Do we use our insurance here (we pay for private ins.) or do we use their system?

In Germany you only use the publicly-funded system if you are a citizen. Otherwise, you need private insurance. I don't know how Denmark works but I would imagine it is similar.

3. What do we do with all of our stuff? Much of it we would sell, but what about books and heirloom furniture?

I would not move heirloom furniture overseas, too much potential for damage.

You'll probably need both. In Germany many utilities are paid directly from your local bank account, there is no other way to pay them.

Yes, you will probably have to pay taxes to both. We did not pay German taxes, since DH was military and I did not work. However, here's a link that might help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2146368_file-taxes-from-overseas.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

6. Will our computers work over there or will we need new ones? I am assuming we will at least need plug adaptors, but we will need to replace our laptops soon anyway, so we might as well replace them with new ones we can take with us if we can.

Some computers are dual voltage. If you are planning to replace your computers, I would get dual voltage computers so that you can use them there and when you get back.

Living overseas is a great opportunity. We loved the experience and would go back in a heartbeat.

You would have to follow their rules. Schooling would be available but whether they have schools that teach in English is a different question.

I don't know this. European medical costs are much lower than ours, though.

You put them in storage or you ship them there, I recommend storage.,

Both if you are still paying certain bills over here. You would pay your bills over there with the European bank and your bills here with the US.

Normally you get a partial or full credit on your US taxes on what you earn overseas but since we were military, we didn't pay foreign taxes so I am not positive on that one.

6. Will our computers work over there or will we need new ones? I am assuming we will at least need plug adapters, but we will need to replace our laptops soon anyway, so we might as well replace them with new ones we can take with us if we can.

They will work but you may need a transformer.

If you are being paid by the foreign entity and paying into their tax system and have foreign residence you are able to deduct that income up to a certain limit (around 80K I think) for US tax purposes.

You have to meet foreign residency requirements, essentially you have to be outside the United States for 11 months of the year, whatever start/stop dates you select.

I think the limit went down a bit this year, maybe it's in the upper 70's?