Menu

I'm finally going to take the TOG plunge. Help!

Surfside Academy

I'm finally going to to do it but I want to begin by purchasing just one unit. If my sons are in 1st and 3rd grade, are there any other items (eg. map aids, quizzes) that I should purchase as well? I'm going to stick w/ WWE and FLL so I'm thinking I don't need the writing aids right now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I'm finally going to to do it but I want to begin by purchasing just one unit. If my sons are in 1st and 3rd grade, are there any other items (eg. map aids, quizzes) that I should purchase as well? I'm going to stick w/ WWE and FLL so I'm thinking I don't need the writing aids right now. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

As long as you also obtain the resource books for your LG children for the unit you are buying, then you could get by without anything else. I might encourage you to buy MapAids if anything, and if your ds's enjoy hands on projects you could add the lapbook kit for that unit as well -- although it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't get it. We've never used the Pop Quizzes, but if your dh is interested in delving in with you, that would be a great option too.

I'm excited for you and your family because TOG is a wonderful program that is very rich and thorough. My best suggestion would be to not be in a hurry or feel that you have to cover every single thing. Ease into it and enjoy the time with your dc. In LG, most of what is covered is familiarity with people, places and events. It is not as detailed and in-depth as the higher levels. There's plenty of room for fun!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Map Aids is helpful if you want to do mapwork.

I bought a bundle and it came with Evaluations (not really helpful at the lower grammar level IMO, although I only used a couple of them), Map Aids, and the lapbook. If your kids like cutting and pasting then the lapbook might be a nice addition. Not necessary though.

Enjoy!! :001_smile:

:iagree: I'd get Map Aids and the lapbooks. If you want to save money and aren't in a huge rush, you should just purchase your items from Lampstand and hold off on the Bookshelf. Spend a few weeks just feeling out the program. Then, take look at the reading lists. You'll notice many budget friendly tips in the reading lists. For example, wherever Story of the World is listed on the right hand alternate reading page, you could skip the history books on the left side of the reading list. There are many times when they suggest one book instead of several. Taking a few weeks to plan your purchases based on the reading lists IN the curriculum instead of just buying every book recommended in the Bookshelf could save you a lot of cash. ;)

OH! As for one book purchase which will come in very handy for years to come: The Holman Bible Atlas. Love it! Love it! Love it! Although I don't see it available in the Bookshelf anymore, it is worth it if you plan on sticking with TOG.

Have fun as you embark on this wonderful journey! We love TOG! :D