Menu

The recent threads about couponing and saving on groceries ...

... got me going! I started couponing for the first time three days ago! I made a coupon binder today using baseball card holders; they work really well! I bought the sunday paper, got online, etc.

So, I got my first big deal already!

There are these Martha White muffin mix bags. Yummy with tons of different flavors; each makes 12 muffins. You just add water. They regular price at my store is $1.11 each.

I bought seven bags. Regular price $7.77 total

Store discount brought them down to 80 cents each. Now at $5.60 total

I had coupons worth a total of $2.10 (that includes doubling, which my store does every day). Now at $3.50.

The rewards program at my store also had a deal where you buy 7 bags and get $3.00 "fresh rewards cash" toward a future purchase.

That means I got 7 bags for 50 cents TOTAL!

Yay, me!

I do. It only costs $10.00 for the first list store and $5.00 for each additional store. For me, I have three list stores, Kroger, Randall's and HEB. So it costs $20.00 which is billed each 8 weeks. So for $2.50 per week, GG gives me a list of the best deals for those three stores. By shopping the lists, I have been building my stockpile and saving anywhere from 50% to 75% on my purchases. I buy 3 - 4 Sunday papers each week to get several coupons which makes stockpiling quicker. There is also a forum that is another wealth of information.

There is another site that is free, I haven't checked it out so I don't know anything about it. I think it is called couponmom.com or something like that.

I personally don't like the Grocery Game. Mostly it is a timing issue for me. OUr ads come out on Wednesday and she doesn't post until Sunday for that ad. The best time for me to shop is Saturday morning :( Now I rely on Couponmom.com for her ad and coupon lists. They don't compare from week to week but she will tell how what percentage you are saving.

Shalom,

Thanks so much for telling me about the grocery game. I went to Harris Teeter today and bought $225 worth of groceries for $125! I was so stoked!!

What a great start. That is an amazing shopping trip.

I hit two stores today, bought $186.29, out of pocket was $67.09. Saved $119.20. Don't you just love saving money?

I hear good testimonies about Harris Teeter, we have Kroger, Randall's and HEB. Kroger and Randall's are the stores that I save the most money.

I personally don't like the Grocery Game. Mostly it is a timing issue for me. OUr ads come out on Wednesday and she doesn't post until Sunday for that ad. The best time for me to shop is Saturday morning :( Now I rely on Couponmom.com for her ad and coupon lists. They don't compare from week to week but she will tell how what percentage you are saving.

That was my issue with GG. And by Sunday the stuff is gone and the rain check limits were always lower than what I could have bought.

I used the Grocery Game lists for a year and learned how to work the system. Now that I am familiar with my favorite store's sale patterns and coupon patterns I can get almost as good of deals without paying for her lists anymore. And I had the same issue with Saturday being my best day to shop with our family's schedule. That was just too tricky waiting for GG lists. I may not get quite as good of deals but I would bet I'm pretty close and for the time and money I save not using GG it's worth it to me. Still I am thankful for all I learned in that year. Unfortunately I wasn't applying all that knowledge which was a contributing factor to us acquiring some debt this year. :(

I am back to really searching the good deals though. This week I bought enough groceries for our family of 5 for $93 and saved $38. And $30 of that $93 was fresh produce. It's fun to find those deals!!!

Way to go and good luck on your coupon journey. :)