Menu

Tapestry of Grace DE or Print?

CathyCDK

This is our first year using TOG, and I chose the DE. I originally purchased DE so I could try a unit without making a big commitment, and I figured I could by print used if we were happy with it. After using DE for a few weeks, I can't imagine flipping through the print version! I love bringing up the week, and being able to see exactly what I need for that week. I also purchased Writing Aids and Map Aids, so it shows me exactly what forms and maps I need for the week. I imagine it would be the same for any other add-ons. Everyone talks about how confusing it can be starting TOG, but I think DE really cuts down on the confusion. Of course the down side is that I can't resell, but I do plan on making 2 rotations. I'm also not worried about any company issues that would make my digital copy useless in the future.

I chose print. I like to have to have something that I can hold, flip pages, and not have to be at the computer to use. Having said that, the digital versions of the map aids, lapbooks, etc are harder to locate on my computer than they would be if I had chosen the digital version. That is not too much of an inconvenience.

I have DE. I don't like to spend much time reading/absorbing text on a computer screen so I usually print out just the teacher notes and dialectic discussion guides. I have ended up making notes in the margins, underlining stuff, etc. so it has worked out in my favor. (I have all of my other printed year plans in page protectors as no piece of paper survives unprotected in our house for more than a few days!)

I also dislike the fact that I cannot electronically copy and paste from anything other than the student pages. Granted, I can't do that with a print copy either so it isn't a step backward.

My three favorite DE functions so far are the search feature, the portability (it's all on my laptop -- no more binders!), and the ability to capture screen snapshots with Elluminate. I've also found that overall planning is very easy with DE. I open up an entire unit and just toggle back and forth to get everything into my computer planner for each level. It seems to go more quickly than juggling a binder and flipping pages.

Since the yr 2 upgrade just became available, I think I'll really, really, like the new integrated interface where I can access the maps, evals, lapbook templates, Writing Aids, etc. for each week all in the same place. Now THAT'S cool!!!

I have already upgraded my old classic yr 3 to redesigned DE for next year --they should have the new interface upgrade ready for that, too. I'm not planning on getting the print version with that since I've been so happy with my yr 2 DE.

Which is the better choice for just starting with TOG? Which did you chose, and why?

Cathy

Having used TOG for 3 yeas in the past , I personally would find a used print version of the Re-Design and try it. You can always sell it if you don't like it, and then follow up with the DE if you do like it. I think for trying it, the least amount of investment with a greater return is better. Once you by the DE it's yours, whether you like it or not:)