Menu

Mastery, repetition and retention

tofuscramble

Hi, :001_smile: I'm pretty new around here, although I'm a long time lurker and have been homeschooling for 3 years. I love these boards, such a wealth of information!

I was wondering how you make sure that you have solidified a concept before moving on? My 6 year old can learn a concept very quickly and achieve 100% on a test right away (when he understands it, he understands it). The problem I am having, is knowing how long to keep him on the subject to make sure he retains what he has learned for the long term?

He gets bored with too much repetition and I'm finding that its really easy to overdo a concept with him. He doesn't forget things easily, but the one or two times he did forget a concept, it just took a little reminder and he was back on the horse. Is that ok/normal? Or should I expect him to always remember what he has been taught, several months down the line?

I was wondering how you make sure that you have solidified a concept before moving on? My 6 year old can learn a concept very quickly and achieve 100% on a test right away (when he understands it, he understands it). The problem I am having, is knowing how long to keep him on the subject to make sure he retains what he has learned for the long term?

If he's getting 100% on a test right away, I'd move on but not assume he's going to retain it forever.

He gets bored with too much repetition and I'm finding that its really easy to overdo a concept with him. He doesn't forget things easily, but the one or two times he did forget a concept, it just took a little reminder and he was back on the horse. Is that ok/normal? Or should I expect him to always remember what he has been taught, several months down the line?

I think this is to be expected and planned for. We cover things once, move on, and then circle back at a later date -- maybe six months later, maybe whenever it comes up. Very few lessons are truly isolated, so things do tend to show up later whether you like it or not. And if he needs a reminder, I remind him.

The things I want to know are absolutely and solidly stuck, we review on a regular basis. I don't think there's any sure-fire way to make sure a single lesson is permanently stuck, but if it keeps coming back I think your odds are very good (and you get a sense for how much more he remembers each time).

One thing I've always done is not teach to 100% mastery the first time. I really prefer something closer to 80%, and not because I don't intend for him to remember it. What I really intend is that there stll be something left for him to puzzle over on his own, and "digest". If he gets 100%, he tends to think of it as done and gone, and never consider it again. If he gets around 80% he knows the bulk of it, but he still has questions. Those are the things that are likely to come up in the car a week later, or that he'll start tying in to whatever comes next. It gives him an opportunity for his own little "aha" moments without leaving him frustrated. In the long run I've found that if I teach to 80% the first time, he's "somehow" gotten to almost 100% before it comes back around in review.

If he's getting 100% on a test right away, I'd move on but not assume he's going to retain it forever.

I think this is to be expected and planned for. We cover things once, move on, and then circle back at a later date -- maybe six months later, maybe whenever it comes up. Very few lessons are truly isolated, so things do tend to show up later whether you like it or not. And if he needs a reminder, I remind him.

The things I want to know are absolutely and solidly stuck, we review on a regular basis. I don't think there's any sure-fire way to make sure a single lesson is permanently stuck, but if it keeps coming back I think your odds are very good (and you get a sense for how much more he remembers each time).

Spot on. This is what we do, but it took me a year to come to figure it out.

:iagree:With the advice given already. One thing I've found is with SM we do the text, workbook, extra practice (one needs it, one doesn't) and then I stagger the CWP about a unit or two behind. It comes at the same information a little different and reinforces what they have already done. That is also why we use at least :D two math programs with each child. Differing views. Review without repitition.

....... That is also why we use at least :D two math programs with each child. Differing views. Review without repitition.

More good advice, and also the reason we will always use 2 math programs. Review from a different angle. And since our other program is EPGY, it's in another format (computer) from our usual texts, which keeps it even more varied.

Thank you, everybody!

I feel so much better knowing its ok to move on with him. He is actually learning at an incredible rate, faster than his progression with the books. He is kind of baffling to me, since my others are very bright, but not as speedy.

Using two math programs is a great idea! Does anyone have any idea of a math program that would compliment MUS? He is doing MUS Gamma atm and should be onto Delta by Christmas.

Thanks again! :001_smile:

I've used Abeka, Saxon, Singapore, TT, Chalkdust and Sadlier-Oxford math. In every case, the concepts are brought into the next level (dealing with K-6 here) given a short review and added to with new skills.

Don't worry too much, it will be fine.

Would any of these be a good fit to work through, alongside MUS?

I have heard people use Singapore alongside MUS...

MUS teaches completely different from most other math programs, in that you learn addition/subtraction completely (single/multiple/carry, etc.) before moving on to multiplication, division, fractions, etc. (that's what I gather, anyhow).

Any program you choose is really going to include bits and pieces of a greater variety of problem types (for example, Sadlier-Oxford 3rd grade math will cover multiple add/sub, and single-digit mult/div, along with fractions, money, measurements, geometry, probability, etc. The same topics simply grow year by year in complexity through 5th grade.

Singapore -- Challenging Word Problems and perhaps intensive practice are work-book programs which would take application of your son's

to a different level. They teach a bit differently -- but in an interesting manner.

I wouldn't use Saxon or Abeka mainly because these would be very repetitive, and the amount of "new" material is thin vs. what your son already knows with MUS. Chalk Dust I only use with upper levels (we go through Basic Math to transition ... but skip a lot of the work). Teaching Textbooks is FUN for my kids. Like a computer game. I'm not sure how it would work along side MUS, though (I've never used MUS).

I hope this helps a little... I'm sure someone out there combines MUS with Singapore and could help you more than I.:001_smile: