Menu

So you really want to learn Latin, or Latin Prep?

christine in al

My dd is using SYRWTL Latin 1. This book is the first of the highschool level Latin books.

My ds#1 is using Latin Prep 1. This is the first of the jr. hi books.

From what I understand Latin Prep 1-3 cover roughly the same material as SYRWTL Latin 1-2. Latin Prep covers material a bit more slowly, but doesn't have the bit of classical history that the SYRWTL Latin books do.

HTH,

Just agreeing with Deb. SYRWTLL moves more quickly and is perhaps a bit dryer. Both are challenging programs that cover grammar concepts then practice those concepts with translation sentences (Latin to English and English to Latin) and then longer translation sections. We used Latin Prep 1 and 2 over two years, then did SYRWTLL1 over the summer as review / reinforcement. We're currently doing LP3 and Lingua Latina for the school year. My plan is to have the kids do SYRWTLL2 over the summer as review, then next fall we'll do SYRWTLL3 and finish up Lingua Latina, wherever we left off. But that's with kids who started Latin young. If they had started in high school, we might have just leapt right into SYRWTLL...

You can see samples of both at the Galore Park website.