Menu

Do you sell curriculum that you bought but

never used? I've got two very large boxes full of brand new curriculum workbooks and other stuff that we never used, or barely used, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble to sell it. Lots of Spectrum workbooks, the Key To Series, Saxon Manuals, etc.

I have no ebay experience, no "swap" experience--what I do have is too much stuff, that probably cost at least a couple of thousand dollars retail, and not enough time to research the best way to get rid of it. So I'd like to get advice from those who do this. I'd also like to find out if it takes a lot of time and trouble for little money.

Any of it 11th grade stuff? I'd buy depending on what it is. And see the thread on selling curriculum at used fairs..

Ebay might not let you sell if you have teacher manuals with them. Best to hit up homeschooling boards and just price accordingly and for me at least, always offer shipping IN the price. I won't even look at ads that say "X dollars for the first book and X cents thereafter" because it is a pain to calculate and sometimes just not worth it. Usually I price a book that says "X dollars for this set which includes media mail shipping".

Any of it 11th grade stuff? I'd buy depending on what it is. And see the thread on selling curriculum at used fairs..

Ebay might not let you sell if you have teacher manuals with them. Best to hit up homeschooling boards and just price accordingly and for me at least, always offer shipping IN the price. I won't even look at ads that say "X dollars for the first book and X cents thereafter" because it is a pain to calculate and sometimes just not worth it. Usually I price a book that says "X dollars for this set which includes media mail shipping".

So how do you know how much to add in for media mail shipping?

Most stuff, even heavy, doesn't cost over $10 for media mail. So if I know I paid 150$ for something new, half that to $75 (if in excellent, unused(no writing) condition), and then usually, if it's a hot item (like abeka) I just leave it at that and take the loss, but I still walk away with $65 made.

Now, I do have some full sets of stuff (a huge geometry set for example) that is stock loaded and never used, that will cost more than the $10 media mail. In that case, it would probably be cheaper for me to ship via UPS because of the weight (after a certain weight, MM is not worth it).

So if it is just regular text sets (like say a full set of Abeka Biology books), MM is good. But for my geometry set which comes in its own box anyway and really is loaded, I'd have to go UPS for it.

I actually like to see prices without the shipping, because I know with media rate, the shipping will not increase much if I buy more than one item from the same seller. When each item has the shipping price figured in, I know I'm going to end up paying much more than the actual shipping.

We have a local homeschooling bookstore which buys books and pays in store credit. I also sell on this forum and a couple of others.

I've also used craigslist.

Would you like the links?

Do you sell non-CM type curriculum here? I didn't think people would be interested in a lot of the stuff because most of it is "workbooky."

You'd be surprised at the (what's the word)----mix of people we have here. I love workbooks and there are several who do.

Try it.

And nest--not from me. If you buy more than one item, I actually re-work the price.

I made more than I spent, strangely, when I sold my used and unused curriculum on e-bay. Things I know I'm not going to be using, I sell ASAP while they're still current enough, and in good shape.

Even my "older" versions sold well.

It doesn't cost much, and it isn't hard to sell on e-bay, even though it was intimidating for me to list my first or second auctions. After I figured it out, it was very simple.

Back when I used to use ebay (okay, it sounds like back in the 1960s, but it was a couple of years ago) I sold some curricula I had bought and never used. I didn't get full price, but did better than I thought I might at a fair, although I can't say for sure.

If you do this, some people sell bundles of things that go together. I once sold a bundle of used preschool music, for example. That was not a good move as I made no money on it in the end, but I didn't lose money unless you count my time. But selling bundles of easy readers, etc can work.