Menu

Computer ??? for mac / pc people

Our school computer is a 7yo Dell running XP and the hard disk is getting quite full. This PC has about 6 years worth of family pictures on it which I am thinking of deleting because I transfered them to my Macbook which is backed up by an external hard drive (I am not even going to think about how to make it work for both formats). Does anyone know if there is a reason why these pictures could not transfer back to a PC format if the need ever arose? I just don't want to delete them all from my PC and find out they can never be shared with a PC user. I really don't want to get an external hard drive for the PC just to save those pictures in another format. I thought about getting a flash drive but am wondering if any other archiving is really needed.

Thanks

I don't know anything about transferring them from one format to another, but you could try an online archiving service. I'm using Microsoft's free Windows Live Skydrive. My laptop isn't doing so great anymore, so I'm copying all my files to Skydrive for when it dies and/or we replace it. (hopefully we can replace it first) Then I can copy everything back to the new computer from Skydrive.

You can easily convert them to formats that PC can use, iPhoto can save them as practically any type of file.

However, we had 3 external hard drives fail, we lost a lot of movies, our experience is that external drives are much less reliable than internal drives. We now have an internal raid array of our hard drives, everything automatically gets saved to 2 identically sized hard drives that mirror the same information, if one dies the computer tells you and you replace it and it transfers over to the new drive.