Menu

French pronunciation help - est..

Jen500

My dc just learned the verb etre. Our audio cd (SYRWTLF) pronounces tu es, il est as 'eh'. I learned to pronounce it more like 'ay', or somewhere in between 'eh' and 'ay', if that makes any sense. Is this a regional difference? I guess I'll teach them 'eh'. I guess I'm wondering why my teacher (who was French, or maybe from Quebec, I don't remember) taught us to say est more like 'ay'.

I'm a French speaker. And I didn't know there was a difference in pronunciation between 'eh' and 'ay'. I pronounce them the same way, and yes it would be the same pronunciation as 'est'.

One thing I've notice in the last year or so, is that English ears and French ears are trained differently. You guys will pick up on variations of pronunciation that really doesn't matter to French ears, yet, French speakers will pick up nuances that makes English spelling much easier. Neither is better, just different. My point is that 'eh' or 'ay' is all the same to me!

I'm not a native speaker, but took a targeted linguistics course as part of my French degree. The problem with having English speakers thing in terms of 'ay' is that they sound the 'y'. The French vowel may be similar to 'ay', but it remains open. Or so I remember.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

If I think of the word 'lay' as in "hens lay eggs", I can hear a diphtong at the end of the word. And the syllabe drags out, it's too long.

However if I cut it short, I would get the proper pronunciation.

Is this making sense?

Oh, and btw, the word 'hen' contains the proper pronunciation for French 'est'. So if you can say 'hen' without the leading h, and the trailing n, you're doing well :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a native speaker, but took a targeted linguistics course as part of my French degree. The problem with having English speakers thing in terms of 'ay' is that they sound the 'y'. The French vowel may be similar to 'ay', but it remains open. Or so I remember.

...... that's what I wrote. What kind of SPAM is this? I don't want to click on the link to find out.

Laura