Menu

Putting SAT test in perspective

Guest Barb B

OK, ds took this 3 times. First scores: 4=640 math, 560 cr, 510 writing. 2 time :600 math, 610 cr and 560 writing. This last time the scores went down a bit from the 2nd time. So, ds wanted to get the last time the math and cr about 650 and writing above 600. I told him, the difference in low 600's (math and cr) and upper 600's is nothing. If he got upper 600's he still would be applying to the type of schools he wants (not interested in ivy leg. MIT type). So the fact that he didn't raise his scores doesn't make a practical difference where he can get in. Schools seem to come in 3 categories: 1. those that have low score standards 2. those with upper 500 - mid 600 range (ds range and the majority of schools range) and 3. the MIT type school that requires 750 scores.

Am I thinking clearly? Does this make sense? I get tired of a coworker of dh son who tries and does get 750's. This is not our goal (nor attainable). So ds is done with SAT. Right?

Barb

Sorry for the babbling post!

Yes, act is scheduled for dec. 12. We are happy with his SAT scores. But sometimes I find a college will use the science, math of act to "validate" homeschool scores instead of SAT II (which ds does not want to take.

Barb

I told him, the difference in low 600's (math and cr) and upper 600's is nothing.

We are finding that the difference is not in gaining acceptance, but rather, the merit aid. If you are looking to get merit aid, the higher the better. Having a combined total of 1360 (M/CR) at one school meant the difference between nothing and a minimum of $8500/year. Some schools have their merit aid written - others don't.

I had my oldest take the ACT this year for the same reason - the chance for decent merit aid and a better looking scholarship app was worth the testing fee. For us, it's turned out to be well worth it.

I had my oldest take the ACT this year for the same reason - the chance for decent merit aid and a better looking scholarship app was worth the testing fee. For us, it's turned out to be well worth it.

This was true for my son last year, too. Based on his PSAT scores and his scores from practice tests from the ACT book, we just had him take the ACT. He scored well enough to net a very good merit scholarship. For this particular kid, the difference in his SAT vs. ACT was pretty great, so I'm pretty sure that if he had taken the SAT and just submitted those scores, he wouldn't have gotten the scholarship.

For us, it was definitely worth the time and effort to figure out which test (ACT or SAT) showed his abilities in a better light.

Brenda