Menu

Do workboxes work with teacher-intensive curriculums?

cam112198

I have been so intrigued by the idea of workboxes. I was wondering how it worked with teacher-intensive subjects?

Would I just put the independent stuff in the workboxes? I have done a lot of searches about workboxes, but can't seem to figure that part out.

This is what we are using this year for 2nd grade:

Abeka phonics and language

A Reason for Handwriting

AAS

WWE

Sonlight Readers

CLE Math

HOD History, Bible, Poetry

God's Design Science

Do you think it would work with what we are using?

Thank you!!

I am using the workboxes and some of the subjects that we do are very teacher-intensive. That is where the "Work with Mom" cards come in. The tricky part for me (and I am still working on this) is lining up the day so that I have some pockets of time for other things-- like laundry, fixing meals, etc.

Typically I start the day with a couple of things that are "Work with Mom" that do not require independent work after, such as reading aloud and spelling. Then I do math, we do the lesson and I leave her to do the worksheets, and her next couple of boxes are things that she does on her own, such as penmanship practice, Mindbenders, Editor in Chief, etc. That gives me an hour or so to deal with the house, the toddler, the mail, phone calls whatever, and then we start that cycle again.

Some days it works better than others, but it really does help us to stay on track with the work, which is the most important thing for us right now. And if some days we have to get dressed out of the laundry basket... well, that's okay, too! :001_smile:

I use alot of teacher-intensive curiculum and I use workboxes as well. If you only have one child, then it would be very easy to do workboxes with this kind of curriculum. What I do is just put the book and an index card telling the child to work with mom in the box. I sprinkle independent activities in amongst the teacher intensive ones so my kids get a taste of both.

Now, if you have more than one child then it is still do-able but it gets a bit tricky to schedule everything.

I use workboxes with 2 kids who still need a lot of help, even with independent work, although it's getting better. We use a modified version of the workboxes by using a plastic filing box (from Office Depot) with the hanging file folders. Each kid has their own in a different color.

I try to put a fun 10-15 min. warm up activity in the first box--short game, puzzle, maze book, etc... The rest of the boxes are usually set up to do the more independent subjects first and then after a break/lunch we tackle the group subjects. We use AAS, Noeo science, Veritas history plus bible study and art. All of those are teacher intensive but not a problem. I laminated cardstock that I'd printed with the name of the subject and then slip that card into their folder.

Our layout for the day usually looks something like this:

folder 1--puzzle book or short game,

folder 2--bible study together,

folder 3--math for ds, reading for dd,

folder 4--reading for ds, math for dd,

folder 5--grammar for ds, poetry for dd,

folder 6--break for lunch,

folder 7--poetry for ds, grammar for dd,

folder 8--spelling together,

folder 9--science together,

folder 10--writing together.

I stagger the kids idependent work so that if they need help I'm available while the other is doing work that usually doesn't require my help. Of course different days have different things in them. Some days we do history instead of science, etc... I hope this give you an idea of how we do it and helps you to visualize it a bit better. Good luck!

I think you can... At least we do... I have a 1st grader, I put everything we are planning to do for the day in the boxes... Some of it has become pretty independent- like penmanship and independent reading ( I put a few options/books for her to choose one to read), others on the other hand require me to work with her: math, Fll, WWE, etc... I used to move the order around of the boxes to better fit my time needs- since I have a toddler... But in the past few weeks, I've found an order that I like and have kept it..... Now my boxes are "permanent" boxes... What I mean is for example, using math- the math book, a pencil, and some manipulatives, a ruler, some tokens, coins, and colors are always there- to show which pages are to be done I have one of those post-it tabs with the word start and one with the word stop... One is green the other red... As we are working on the days assignment she has at hand everything she could need, we can quickly find our place and know where to stop, at the end while she's putting everything back into the box, I put the tabs for the next day... So we don't empty the box at the end, but rather put everything back in the same box.... She gets her sense of accomplishment by checking off in her "planner"....

My boxes are clear plastic- they look like a "briefcase"- I think they were meant for projects/scrapbooking and they come with a caddy they go into, I got the at officemax... What I love most about this is that if we have to go out to let's say my mom's house all i have to say is bring your math & history box, and all she needs to do that is already in there.... Yes each box has it's own pencil/eraser- those whose subject require writing have a few pages of 1st grade writing paper, and do on... Duplication? Yes; but all we need to work with a subject are always there..... What she likes the most is that the "boxes" look like a "briefcase" and it even has a handle....

Kate

Edited by shehmeth

Thank you ladies for all of your advice and wonderful ideas!!! I want to go to Walmart right now so I can get started!! :001_smile:

I do think I would use a plastic file box and see how that works, mainly b/c of space. Do you guys use a plastic file box with a lid or a crate that you can hang file folders from?

Mine are plastic file boxes with a lid that comes completely off. It's a space saver for sure. I stack them up in a corner when we're done and they're out of the way.

I bought the bright, multicolored hanging files (I think 12 for each box, although we've never used all twelve in a single day yet) and used the tabs that come with them to number them. I keep a regular folder in #12 that's for completed work. All the work they do in a day gets put into that folder and then later in the day/night, I take it all out and look it over, mark what's wrong and give it back to them to be put into a subject folder on their bookshelf the next morning.

Have fun with it!

Mine are plastic file boxes with a lid that comes completely off. It's a space saver for sure. I stack them up in a corner when we're done and they're out of the way.

I bought the bright, multicolored hanging files (I think 12 for each box, although we've never used all twelve in a single day yet) and used the tabs that come with them to number them. I keep a regular folder in #12 that's for completed work. All the work they do in a day gets put into that folder and then later in the day/night, I take it all out and look it over, mark what's wrong and give it back to them to be put into a subject folder on their bookshelf the next morning.

Have fun with it!

Thank you so much!! That sounds similar to what I want to do. I want the last folder to be for completed work. I will look for the plastic file boxes that the lids come off.

Do your books and teacher manuals fit in the hanging file folders?