Menu

No! Not another N1H1 question!! Hornblower? Perry?

But yes. Sorry.

Does it always take a full two weeks for immunity to be maximized?

My general answer would be no, it doesn't always take 2 weeks.

In some studies of seasonal flu vax, the majority of people have protective levels by day 7. Protective levels are lower than peak levels, but whether or not you have protective levels is what's clinically important.

However, how fast protective levels develop depend on a number of things, including age, underlying health, and subtype of flu. In one study antibody response to H1N1 (seasonal) was quicker than to H3N2 and Influenza B. There also may be a "priming" effect, so that if you already have antibodies to other strains, your immune system works faster at making new antibodies. So an immunologically naive individual will have a slower response. Unfortunately, most of us are immunologically naive to the novel H1N1 strain. I haven't seen results of antibody studies for the new H1N1, so I don't know if these results apply.

In general older people take longer to produce antibodies. Young children also may take longer. Healthy people have faster response, and those with compromised immune system take longer and reach lower peak levels. Some people have no response at all.

HTH

:lurk5:

and if I may ask, has it been determined that children need 2 doses of the vax and adults only one?

Thanks. :)

I don't know if CDC has made an official recommendation yet, but Sanofi is saying kids under 10 need 2 doses, and adults need one.

:lurk5:

and if I may ask, has it been determined that children need 2 doses of the vax and adults only one?

Thanks. :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that it has been determined. Read this page from CDC's site. http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm

It was last update on Oct. 16, 2009 and states the following.

Will two doses of vaccine be required?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of one dose of 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine for persons 10 years of age and older. This is slightly different from CDC’s recommendations for seasonal influenza vaccination which states that children younger than 9 who are being vaccinated against influenza for the first time need to receive two doses. Infants younger than 6 months of age are too young to get the 2009 H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines.

What will be the recommended interval between the first and second dose for children 9 years of age and under?

CDC recommends that the two doses of 2009 H1N1 be separated by 4 weeks. However, if the second dose is separated from the first dose by at least 21 days, the second dose can be considered valid.

Both of my kids have already gotten the H1N1 vaccine. My son is 11 and only needed the one dose. My daughter however is 8 so she will have to receive 2 doses. We were given a card with her vaccine # on it to bring back in a month so that she can receive the second dose. Our local health depts. are recording the doses given to children under 10 so they can ensure their second dose will be available. They are setting aside those doses to ensure they are there when the child needs it. All we have to do is bring back our card with her vaccine ID # on it and she will get the second dose.

I hope this helps.

But yes. Sorry.

Does it always take a full two weeks for immunity to be maximized?

2 days ago my girls were exposed to a kid with H1N1. His mom decided she already had one sick kid at home & decided to send the younger one to scholl even though he was running a slight temperature. By afternoon he was running a high fever & shivering.

Same evening my girls were vaccinated, but the Dr mentioned it will take 2 weeks for the immunity to build up. Aslo she mentioned incubation is 3 weeks. For 9yr & younger you have to go back after 30 days for another dose.