Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jengjohnson

How to sanitize a bird's nest?

My daughter found an empty blown-down bird's nest that she'd like to keep. I'm concerned about the germs or bugs that might be present. Any idea on how to kill the bugs without destroying the nest? I wondered about "baking" it for a while.

Thanks!

We collect pine cones every year to decorate with. We put them in a plastic trash bag in the freezer for 24-48 hours. That kills off the bugs.

I would lightly spray the nest with Lysol after freezing just as an extra measure. Just make sure to not get it too wet when spraying it and give it ample time to dry.

Hmmm...the things I learn on this forum. I honestly never thought about it. We just bring them inside germs, bugs and all I guess, but we have never seen bugs or gotten sick from them. I do set them in the sun for a bit to take away the 'bird' smell.

Hmmm...the things I learn on this forum. I honestly never thought about it. We just bring them inside germs, bugs and all I guess, but we have never seen bugs or gotten sick from them. I do set them in the sun for a bit to take away the 'bird' smell.

We did this for years, too! No problems. Never thought to sterilize a bird's nest! I guess I should have!

We collect pine cones every year to decorate with. We put them in a plastic trash bag in the freezer for 24-48 hours. That kills off the bugs.

I would lightly spray the nest with Lysol after freezing just as an extra measure. Just make sure to not get it too wet when spraying it and give it ample time to dry.

I've never thought to kill the germs/bugs off of pine cones.

:lol: Same here. It would never occur to me to sterilise a birds nest.

Bird nests can have fleas, mites, etc. and pine cones can have some kind of grub. I also freeze acorns if my kids want to keep them.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin