Menu

Of Mice and Men

WOW! I did not remember the language or the issues (whorehouses, booze, gambling) brought up in this book. This was our next book to read in HS and now I am not sure that I desire my son to read it. Have any of you done this book? What I remembered from way long ago almost make me want him to read it - the treatment of the mentally retarded, Depression, etc...

Would love the Hive's thoughts on this book..

Guest Ann Marie K

My son had to read this for his summer assignment during his very brief foray into Catholic hs. I too was shocked and surprised at the amount of swearing and disturbing topics included. While the overall story and message is thought-provoking and interesting, I feel this book is more appropriate for an older audience, not soon to be 9th graders. My son is extremely sensitive to bad language and was very disturbed by it as well.

this was on my son's rising 10th grade summer reading list. i think it is appropriate exposure for a 10th grader (in my house). it certainly was an improvement over the dreck the school had him read for 9th grade! i read it myself so we could discuss it. i was, once again, taken by Steinbeck's gift for descriptive detail. perhaps you could find another Steinbeck that is less troubling for you but would still have your child experience his incredible use of simple language.

WOW! I did not remember the language or the issues (whorehouses, booze, gambling) brought up in this book. This was our next book to read in HS and now I am not sure that I desire my son to read it. Have any of you done this book? What I remembered from way long ago almost make me want him to read it - the treatment of the mentally retarded, Depression, etc...

Would love the Hive's thoughts on this book..

I thought the same thing when I was preparing our American Lit. I skipped it. They had it in an outside class the next year. Oh well.

It wouldn't bother me for a high school student (and I know that I read it in middle school; The Grapes of Wrath was our hs Steinbeck).

Honestly, by high school, the serious student has to be prepared to read books with mature themes and dubious language. I wouldn't discount a good book because it talks about prostitutes or other mature themes, or uses bad language. That knocks out a lot of standards from Steinbeck, Crane, etc and will leave holes in a reading list if the student is aiming for college. Also, when do you want him to encounter these themes/ideas for the first time? I think it's good for my kids to encounter difficult ideas in print, at home, where the questions and discussions are handled by dh and I.

I'm not a big Steinbeck fan myself - - I can't manage the suspension of disbelief that his big scenes require - - but I'm resigned to the fact that some familiarity with his work is expected, and I'll be reading him again with dds.

I taught this book to my son and his same-aged friend when they were at the end of 7th grade year. No problems whatsoever. The reason I picked it was because our local opera company was staging the opera, and I wanted them to read the book first.

Kids have heard the mild curse words in the book (don't fool yourself). They are bright enough to know it is a story, and not an endorsement by you for them to use the words themselves. They also are aware of mild sexual themes.(the range manager's wife visits the bunkhouse, but nothing happens, but we all know why she does. She's kind of a flousy, but also incredibly lonely and trapped)....just look at billboards and magazines that you cannot shield them from.

The issue of mental retardation can lead to discussion of that issue. The end of the book certainly warrants consideration and a reaffirmation of your beliefs in choosing life.

The kids really enjoyed the book. The were able to understand the many themes Steinbeck used and wrote very good final essays.

I didn't assign it without much thought and research. This title is found on 7th/8th grade reading lists for private and academically rigorous schools. There are some good free resources on the book available on-line and I was able to print out an entire lesson plan on the book for there notebooks (which I can send if you would like it).