Menu

I think I've decided why high school is more stressful than elementary for us..

In elementary school, all children need to learn more or less the same skills, and if they don't remember the content, it doesn't really matter. In high school, children start to diverge, become individuals, and concentrate in different areas. Unless the parent concentrated on the same area, the parent may not know very much about the new subjects. Also, concentrating on some things means not learning other things. Bridges begin to be burned, and that is very scary for parents. And it matter how much everyone remembers because things build on past knowledge and things are so complicated that unless the concepts and vocab are memorized, one gets lost quickly. Memorization + burning bridges + unfamiliar subject matter = stress, at least for me.

I still think homeschooling high school is by far, far the best option for us. And high school learning pales in comparison to how well they drive and other adult matters, stress-wise.

-Nan

In elementary school, all children need to learn more or less the same skills

I was just coming here to say that there is a new post in Susan's new blog, with some more great comments. Hope you don't mind if I say it here, since the above quote was part of the comment section. It's going to be a great blog, I think. I loved reading your comments, Nan. Thanks for starting the "day in the life" thread, too.

"Memorization + burning bridges + unfamiliar subject matter = stress, at least for me."

That's so true - and now you have to learn how do you help your child decide which bridges he's going to burn & help them realize the long-term ramifications for their future college education & life in general? Such stress!!! I find myself having to remember to stop, breathe, and enjoy these precious years...but then I panic! Ha!

Myra

You are so right about burning bridges....It's like giving up a dream. When children are babies, it seems that everything is a possibility. It really isn't, but we can at least DREAM about all of the possibilities.

It's in the high school years that those possibilities narrow. Choices have to be made and it's stressful trying to make sure that your dc are giving up the right activities and concentrating on the ones that will....bring them closer to God? be the most practical? give them the most fulfillment? never be able to be pursued later? make the best memories? provide for their future? Those are the questions that make it so hard.

I remember crying when my dd decided to stop violin in the 10th grade. However, giving up that commitment allowed her to begin tutoring which opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Now she's a TA in college - something I don't think she would have had the confidence to pursue without her tutoring experience in high school.

I think some of my stresses right now are because I'm reluctant to let my children burn bridges....is it for them or for me? Maybe I need to go get a torch...

Leanna

I've come to the conclusion that in some ways I have it easier than some because of two factors: 1. I only have one child and 2. I only just started homeschooling. Since I have no previous years to compare to I guess I'm blissfully unaware, lol!!!!!!!!!!! However, I do fine myself feeling nervous about how much we are accomplishing in a given week.

For me, the hardest part of homeschooling is the sheer volume of work. Everything is deeper and takes longer. I can no longer skim the grammar page to correct. Now my brain has to *effectively* (key word) engage to teach and grade and work through. And it's still engaged late into the evening. :001_smile:

Lisa

*Who was it who said we were postponing our senior years by engaging our brains so persistently? I'll remember that in 15 years when I'm working with my last high schooler!

Very good point. I am thrilled my son really likes debates, science and math. This year (his senior) we are doing less English so he can concentrate on those areas. On good moments I know this is the right things, at 2 am I wake up wondering if I have really prepared my son enough.