Menu

Please tell me all about TOG

lovemykids

:bigear:

Would I need specific books, or can I use the library? Is it worth the cost if I'm splitting it between three children? Can I easily use the WTM methods? Or CM?

When is the best time to start with TOG? Does it use SOTW at all? I'm thinking ahead here, maybe a few years ahead. Does it matter which level I start with? (I'm guessing no, it's just according to where we are in our history rotation,right?)

Thanks!

TOG is topic specific, not book specific. It gives you primary resources for the reading assignments, and in those books you will definitely find the answers to the questions listed in the student activity pages. They also list alternate resources which are good choices. The worksheets and questions are based on the primary sources, but I have used alternates and just let the kids find answers to specific questions online or in the extensive teacher's notes that come with TOG.

Because TOG lists the assignments for 4 learning levels, that makes it an excellent value. I currently use it with 4 children in 3 levels, and it works great.

I find it very adaptable to WTM and CM methods.

I don't know that there is a best time to start TOG. I would suggest that one try to do one full rotation in high school. We started when my oldest was in 9th, and I had others in 8th, 6th, and 3rd. We are now in Year 4. You really can jump in wherever you are in the cycle, or start over at the beginning.

TOG does use SOTW as an alternate resource for the upper grammar level. I use it on weeks I can't locate the primaries, or on really busy weeks.

Hope that helps, and doesn't actually confuse you...

tonya

I see that perhaps you home school with a more secular/neutral flavor?? I do know of some who use TOG coming from what may be a similar stance, but, in MY opinion, TOG is HEAVILY Christian. It uses many books from non-Christian authors, but it strives to promote a Christian worldview. Many of the "thinking questions" deal with interpreting history in light of the Bible. It uses the Bible for MUCH of Year 1 studies. I don't know if that is an issue for you or not, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Forgive me if I misinterpreted anything, but I did want to be thorough.

:001_smile:

tonya

I use the library for just about everything. I have a great library system with excellent policies on inter-library loans. I do buy the spine books that are used in multi-units, only b/c I don't want to play check-out games with multiple cards at my library.

I find it a terrific value b/c it is multi-grade. I am currently using it with 3 levels and actually peeking into a fourth level b/c I'll be using all 4 next year. The high school is simply, Amazing.

You can pick up anywhere you'd like. I actually started with Year 1 Unit 4 and am now entering Year 3, unit 1.

I find it blends nicely with CM, as I tend to be a bit more CMy with LG, and perfectly with WTM, as I tend to be very WTMy with my Dialectic and Upper Grammar kiddos. I also think it fits nicely into the unit study style too...for me, the best of 3 worlds.

The book lists are fantastic. The teachers notes great. The answers for discussion are incredible and a great help for anyone who is new to the Classical approach of discussion and rhetoric.

I will never use another history program again, no doubt, and my youngest is in 2nd grade. I am officially settled for history forever...what a wonderful feeling!

Thanks Tonya,

So there are worksheets with a heavy Christian religious slant? Would I get a good glimpse into the amount of religion by looking at the samples? I am aware that it is Christian but I didn’t think to ask about the extent of it. I guess I should start a secular TOG thread, or just change this one! I do like using the Bible, but I prefer a secular or neutral stance if possible in curricula. I usually end up tweaking religious curricula, although there have been some that are just too much for my personal taste.

Thanks for your description. I have heard that TOG can get expensive, so I was wondering if it was book specific or not. I guess since we have a lot of children that is what really makes difference in our case. Also, yes, high school is what started this whole TOG attraction thing in the first place; I would want to start in eighth or ninth grade. There aren’t very many high school programs I like, and I’m looking for something to reduce my workload when it comes to planning and fitting everything together. I’m sure I’ll be busy enough with possibly working by then and HSing all four kids.

Tina,

Thanks for your reply, it’s great to hear positive things about your experience with the library, and I’m glad that you think the high school material is excellent.

Wow, it must be nice to be all set for history forever!

Definitely get the sample 3 weeks. It is indicative of the program at large. Others might disagree with my interpretation of the curriculum, btw. I bought TOG wanting a Christian worldview emphasis, and I appreciate the writers' theology in particular, so I tend to focus on those aspects.

The Biblical emphasis is heavier in the older levels, imo.

Blessings,

tonya

The Biblical emphasis is pretty huge, especially in year 1 and the first part of year 3. Once you move into US History it does slow down a bit. Even then there is scripture listed in the Teacher Notes each week. Both Worldview and Philosophy discuss things based on a Christian Worldview, and there are times on the Literature worksheets where scripture is referenced, or the child is asked to look some up. I don't use the Lit worksheets much, but I would say 1 in 10 and the LG/UG level, though that is a general feeling and not based on any sort of factual analysis. The rest are basic comprehension type work. I have looked at the D level to know you are probalby going to run into more there, and they add literature analysis and move away from straight comprehension.

The problem with year 1 and the first part of year 2 is that TOG integrates Biblical History. Now if you won't find the constant scriptures and Biblical emphasis in the Teacher Notes I think you could condense several of the early weeks of year 1 that focus on Biblical History and then expand the latter part where you cover Mesopotamia, Greeks and Romans. But then again that is going to be more work for you.

Do try the 3 week sample, especially of year 1 and then year 2. You will see the difference I am talking about in the two samples alone.

Heather

Do try the 3 week sample, especially of year 1 and then year 2. You will see the difference I am talking about in the two samples alone.

Heather

:iagree:

I think actually running through the samples week by week, especially the teacher's notes and student pages, is the only way to grasp TOG, especially for the Rhetoric levels if you are looking ahead. If you are looking for a more secular approach, have you looked at History Odyssey? They have a try before you buy program.

Thank you both,

Yes, I had glanced at the samples but since I have examined the student and teacher pages very thoroughly, I don’t think that TOG will work for us. :glare:

I have looked at HO extensively. Yet, there is still something that I don’t like about it. We may end up using it with modifications.

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply. I wish I could use TOG!